Chapter 10

After I had got up out of the tent, I went outside and sat my the campfire. Breakfast would be served soon. Sam was already out, eating Eggs that he cooked himself. This was the life. Sitting by the fire with my fellow recruits. I hadn't talked to anyone other recruits other than Sam. I didn't have any motive to anyway.

Breakfast was nasty. The eggs tasted horrible, I threw them up after eating them.Everyone else looked sick after they had eaten it too. Bernie came out of his tent; he told us that we were going to hike back to camp. I thought boot camp was easy, at least for me. Halfway through our hike, We stopped because of something disgusting. It was a dozen deer carcasses. They were on the ground, bloody and ripped apart. The heads were nowhere to be seen. I already knew what it was. It was a volatile. But did one volatile do all of this? It had to be like a pack of volatiles. "That is fucking disgusting." Said of the recruits. "What kind of hellish creature did this?" Asked another recruit. "It was a volatile." Bernie replied.

"Then let's get out of here before we run into one." I said. "Good idea." Bernie said. Just then, we heard a ear piercing sound. It made my ears hurt. I covered them, I could see other recruits were doing the same thing. We saw a volatile, it was perched up in a tree. It looked like it was waiting for it's hunting buddies. We saw an old abandoned diner, we all ran to it. The volatile did not pursue us, that was really weird. By the time we had barred the door, we could hear multiple volatile screams outside.

"What now?" A recruit asked. "We make a Molotov cocktail." I said. "Excellent idea Riley." Bernie praised. "Find some alcohol and a cloth." Bernie ordered to a recruit. While he was looking for that, I looked for some matches. After five minutes of searching, I finally found some in the back room. I returned to the table, where Bernie was shoving a cloth onto a top of a beer bottle. He had about sixteen of them, two for each of us. There were three extra, in case we needed any more.

After the plan had been explained and the Molotov and been lit, we walked out of the diner. What we saw was horror. The volatile pack had been chewing up the rest of their meal: deer. They stopped ripping them apart when we came out. They were all crouched down, so we had the upper hand.

Bernie threw a Molotov at the pack; it lit up most of them. The rest of us threw it at them. But I threw it at the trash in front of us. It seemed silly, but it was going to make sense in thirty seconds. The volatile pack was on fire, they ran around for a minute until it had been extinguished. The trash in front of me had caught fire, preventing any volatile from jumping over. I had thought it through well.

We walked away from the situation, not wanting to lose anyone. When we got back to Edgewood, all of us were tired from hiking. Sam sure was. We were let in and escorted back to our houses. When I got back, I was beat. I fell down onto the couch. Paul was there, reading a novel. He put it down when he saw me. "How was it?" "Horrible, we ran into a volatile pack." "We also figured out their weakness." "What is it?" "Fire." I got up and turned on the TV. Paul was watching The Twilight Zone. What a classic. I spent three hours telling Paul about the day and watching The Twilight Zone until going to bed. What a day. But look on the bright side; I was now an enrolled soldier of Edgewood.

This was like a milestone for me. Finally I had somewhat trust in this hole. Now all I had to do was find a way to earn trust, and then I would finally ask to see Dr. Trager. But I wasn't looking forward to what kind of deeds that I had to do. Still, you have to do what you have to do, right?