Our Gazes Were Locked

Days felt like seconds as it changed to my birthday. There I was, a pure young innocent fifteen year old girl who's mind was barricaded with a boy so intoxicating in my head. Knowing that I could think of you and not have such painful regret was such a beautiful feeling any girl my age could have. I was getting older,meaning more maturity. I was aware of how dangerous it would be to be with such a exquisite boy, but you were worth it.

I sat there on my day, up in my bedroom while my mother went to go fetch my birthday cake from the grocery store a couple miles away. You sat there with me, a cigarette in your mouth while you faced out my window, sitting on the dusty white ledge, staring at the busy streets while you were trapped in your thoughts. I sat on the tan colored bedroom carpet, wearing a baggy Coors Light shirt my father gave me and checkered printed boxers that you gave me as a birthday present. I just watched you as we sat in silence as my tangled hair fell down to my waist while you inhale cancer. Your tan hands held ever so fragile on the bottle next to you. I smiled as you brought it up to your lips, thinking how lucky the clear bottle is to be able to feel your soft lips.

You could feel my eyes burning into your back and so you turned around, your eyes meeting mine. A puzzled look was on your face and you chuckled. "Something wrong?" you said before you grinned.

I shook my head quickly and made a fake smile. "No, no, not at all! Everything...is perfect."

"Come here." you whispered while patting your hands on your lap, gesturing me to sit. I nodded and you smiled, adjusting your feet so your legs were flat.

Once I was close to you, you smirked and wrapped your strong arms around me, making me feel so small and so fragile. I squealed as you lifted me up and placed me on your lap while your cigarette was placed in between your lips as you tickled my ribs. You held me close to your chest and I felt so safe, Conner. So so safe.

When you stopped I turned my head to face you. I moved my hands up to your lips and pulled out the cigarette, wanting to take a puff of that beautiful piece of death-in-the-flesh, but you stopped me right before it reached my lips. A frown on my face as you pulled it away.

"Please, Conner! It's my birthday, let me just have one."

"Dahlia..." You trailed off, your tongue being unaware of what to say next. "It's dangerous."

"B-but you do it!"

"I'm coming off as a bad example, huh"

I laughed in the crook of your neck, inhaling your enchanting scent with lustful eyes. I looked up into your eyes, the beautiful color of your glossy iris showed my reflection while our gazes were locked . At that moment, it felt like everybody died and it was just us. The world could be crumbling and I wouldn't dare look away from you.

"Dahlia." You whispered, tucking the strands of hair that covered my face behind my ear.

"Yes, Conner?" I whispered back, my face flushing red.

And then you leaned in, your lips only centimeters away from mine as you held me close, brushing your nose softly against mine.

All my innocence and all my fears vanished in a split second as your pink soft lips collided with my red fragile lips.

"Happy birthday, beautiful."

I'm the best, I know

Vote and Comment