Chapter 20

Kath and Quen were at the coffee shop and were busy organizing the pay slips of their workers. It was Sunday. The two always goes to the church together with Baby Grace. After they organized the payslips and received the stocks delivered from their supplier, Kath drove them to the church.

They chose to sit at the very back in order to get some fresh air since all of the other chairs in front seemed crowded. Quen had Baby Grace sit on his lap while Kath who was beside him, was gazing around the church. He watched her shift from her sit from time to time.

“Kath..” he whispered.

She was still looking at a different direction and seemed like she didn’t hear him at all.

“Kath..” he whispered again loud enough for her to hear.

Finally she glanced at him with a confused look.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah..Yeah I’m fine,” she smiled.

“Are you looking for someone?”

Before Kath could even answer, someone tapped her shoulder. The two shifted their glances at DJ, who was wearing a red polo and a just-woke-up smile.

Quen was surprised at his presence but what really surprised him even more was when Kath gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“I’m glad you made it,” Kath said as he let DJ sit beside her.

“Yeah, I woke up just in time,” he scratched the back of his head and glanced at Quen who was staring at him coldly.

“Thanks for inviting me,” he added.

“I did not invite you,” Quen raised his brow.

DJ bit his lip and fell silent. Kath shot Quen a glare.

“What? Did I say something wrong?”

“That’s really rude, Quen. I invited him,” she whispered crossly.

“Well, I just said that I was not the one who invited him. I’m just telling the truth,” He answered back loud enough for DJ to hear.

Kath elbowed him and turned to DJ who was pretending not to hear anything, “Look, I’m sorry DJ, Quen got up on the wrong side of the bed.”

“What?” Quen whispered exasperately.

With that he earned another glare of fury from Kath.

“It’s okay,” DJ forced smile.

Quen rolled his eyes and leaned back on the chair.

“This is going to be a long hell of a day,” he muttered.

“Shh...you’re in church,” Kath heard him.

“I’m sorry,” he mouthed.

“Mama...” Baby Grace reached out her hands to Kath.

Kath carried her to her lap and kissed her, “It’s okay Baby Gracie, dada’s a bit grumpy today.”

“What?” Quen mouthed again.

“Mama?” DJ inserted.

“Oh. She just calls me Mama since she doesn’t have her mother with her. I’m her instant mom,” she whispered with a smile.

DJ looked perplexed as he stared at Kath then to Quen who was also staring back at him.

Baby Grace started playing DJ’s hands and giggled every time he makes a funny face at her.

“I think she likes you,” Kath muttered.

“You wanna hold her?” she asked.

DJ peered at Quen who was giving him a keep-your-filthy-hands-off-my-daughter glare.

“No, it’s fine. I’m not good with babies,” he shook his head although he would love to carry Gracie with him.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah yeah. It’s fine,” he glanced from her to Quen.

Kath noticed the hesitant look on DJ and turned her head to Quen.

“What?” Quen raised his brows.

Kath shook her head and just looked ahead. She knew that Quen is not in good terms with DJ. Ever since DJ came back, Quen avoided talking about him and always made sure that he ignores his presence. She told herself that she’ll find a way to fix the feud between the two. And hopefully her plan works. She composed herself as the mass was about to begin.