Chapter 6

• Taylah's P.O.V •

Marie arrives at the house, parking directly infront of the pathway.

"You want me to walk you up?" Marie offers.

"No, it's fine. Thanks anyway," I smile.

"Okay, Cookie," Marie smiles back, calling me by my nickname.

"Bye, Marie. Thanks for the ride," I open the car door.

"No problem."

I walk out and close the door, an walk up to the large oak brown door. I try to open it but find it locked. I click the door bell and hear footsteps.

I hear a keg opening the door and see mum throw the door open, her smile warm.

"Hi, honey! How is everyone?" he hugs me.

"Great," I answer with a smile. "Marie drove me home," I look back and point at her. She waves and I wave back. Mum just stands there.

"Oh, okay. Well you'll be tired."

I nod, hearing a car engine roar to life. Then the screeching noise of rubber against the concrete fills our ears.

"Let's go in." I walk inside, kicking my shoes off. "Night Mum. Love you."

"Love you, sweets. Night," Mum walks to her room.

I go into the bathroom and brush my teeth and hair. I throw my hair into a messy bun and change into turquoise pyjama shorts and a white vest top.

Switching off the light, I crawl under the covers and fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the soft pillow.

- Few Hours Later -

I wake up to bangs downstairs. Sitting up, I yawn and slide my legs to the edge of the bed. Sliding out, I carefully open the bedroom door and walk quietly downstairs.

"Stay away from her!" I hear a familiar voice yell.

"No! She's mine!" Another female voice yells.

"I'm the birth mother here!" The first woman yells. Mum.

"I'm the Mum her Dad married because the first wife wasn't good enough!" I recognise the second voice to be Marie.

My eyes widening, I see mum holding a shattered piece of glass. From one of our fancy glasses, aswell. Shame.

"I dare you to say it again," Mum threatens, almost cornering Marie.

"I'm the Mum her Dad married because his first wife wasn't good enough," she repeats but more slowly. Gosh, it's like talking to a little kid.

Before anything else happened, like Mum actually getting Marie in the face with shattered glass, I jumped out.

"Stop!" I yell, seeing four eyes on me.

"You're supposed to be sleeping," Mum drops the glass, letting it shatter even more.

"I woke up to bangs," I explain.

"Well its fine now. I'll sort it. After all, it is a MOTHERS job." She emphasises the word mother and walks over to me.

"Who do you choose?" Mum whispers in my ear.

"Marie. Or Debbie?" Marie smiles. My Mum goes and stands beside her.

"Who do you choose, Taylah?" Mum pushes.

I bury my head in my hands and think. Marie or mum. Mum or Marie?

"I choose-" I start to say before getting cut off. I bounce in my bed and sit up, my breathing pattern all over the place.

Wow. What a nightmare.

• Harry's P.O.V •

"You can trust her, Haz," Darren smiles through the phone.

"I hope so. If anything happens... I will... I will... I don't know! I'll think of something."

Darren chuckles. "'Kay, mate. Catch you later."

Yeah, later. In a hospital bed. I wince at the joke and shake my head. That wasn't nice.

Ring Ring! Ring ring! Ring ri-

"Hello?" I breathe into the speaker.

"Is this Harry Styles?"

"Yes. Who is it?" I place my hand on the desk, leaning on it.

"I'm Dr. Jessica Munro. Your friend Darren Gideon has been in a crash. He demanded we tell you."

I drop the phone. No. This can't be happening...