Chapter 2

Walking through the thick forest foliage, my moccasin clad feet never making a sound. Even with a 200 plus pound buck, I had killed slung across my shoulders.

With two of its legs grasped tightly in each hand, while the bulk of its weight rested on my shoulders.

I continued walking all the while paying close attention for any walkers.

When the world first went to shit, and the dead began to walk my Pawpaw took me and the four boys, I'd been watching at the time, and drove us deep into the mountains. Where he then led us to a cave almost at the peak of the mountain.

When we arrived, I saw that the cave was already prepared, to be lived in. It had thick hide rugs on the floors, a fire pit already dug out with a large stack of fire wood against the cavern wall.

With the food and supplies we brought with us, we stayed there comfortably, all the while hunting and trapping to store for meat.

We managed to live like that for almost two years, that is until one day me and Pawpaw was out hunting and encountered not just walkers but one highly passed off grizzly bear.

We managed to kill all of the walkers quickly, but the bear had caught me and Paw with it's claws.

Paw using the last of his strength stitched together my ripped flesh. He knew he wouldn't make it, so he made sure one of us would still be around to care for the boys.

Paw was now bleeding out, we both knew that if he had been in his prime, he would of made it, but as it was he was dying.

He passed shortly after tending my wounds, only to come back as a walker, forcing me to give him mercy.

I knew then and there, that it no longer mattered, when you died you would come back as a walker.

That was about a year to to years ago now. Since then I have been providing for myself and the boys with everything we need to survive heat another day in this he'll.

Voices drew me from my wondering thoughts, I decided to check it out.

Cause you never know, it wouldn't be the first time the boys decided to follow me outside the cave and into the vastness of the forest.

Staying hidden in the trees, weary of any people who in get encounter. Now a days the living is just as deadly or even worse then walkers.

Below my small ridge where I stayed hiding, just observing, stood a fairly large group of people.

I was too far away to hear what they were saying, but as long as they didn't cause trouble for me and mine, it didn't concern me.

I was turning to leave, when I was stopped mid turn, by the cries of a small child no more then a year or two old.

Against my better judgement, I turned back toward the group. There was just no way I could in good conscious leave a baby out here, exposed to the any dangers learning about in this world. When I have a warm safe place big enough for them all.

Silently I made my way towards the edge of the ridge, coming into view, just waiting for one of them to take notice of me.

"Daryl's P.O.V"

For two weeks now we have been traveling. Ever since the whole Governor shit, we've been on the move.

We decided that the prison was no longer a safe place to stay. We talked it over and decided to head into the mountains to Merle and my old man's hunting cabin.

At first Rick wouldn't have any of it, but after a vote we decided it was our best shot at survival.

One we gathered everything we needed, we left making our way to said cabin, exhausting all of our resources in the process.