Neuf

Jared sat in his suit and tie, at a table with just him and his plus one for Lizzie's wedding to Ryan, Clarisse. He refused to call it a date. It didn't feel like a date. Everyone else were up and dancing, but he just wanted to bash his head in. He had wrongly assumed that Ondine would accept Ben's invitation, and even then, he wasn't even sure why he texted Clarisse. So what if she had shown up? What was it that he wanted to happen? Did he want to make her jealous? Did he want to show her that he was doing as she asked?

He sat back and listened to the words his sister sang after Lizzie, the bride, asked her to sing a song. Emily Jane obliged, couldn't refuse Lizzie's request and sang a timeless love song. The lyrics resonated with him. It was as if the song was giving him the answer to all his earlier questions.

I know you haven't made your mind up yet, 

But I would never do you wrong. 

I've known it from the moment that we met, 

No doubt in my mind where you belong.

Jared took his cell phone out of his pocket and stared at Ondine's contact information for the longest time, trying to muster up the courage. He finally pressed new message.

"Hi."

He waited for a reply as the DJ played an upbeat pop song after Emily Jane's special number.

"Jare, come on, dance with me?" Clarisse looked up at him with a smile on her face.

"You go ahead, I'm actually quite tired," he answered simply.

"Jare, why did you even invite me? You've treated me like I was invisible all day," she pouted.

"Sorry, Clarisse, I'm really just tired."

"I mean, gah, can you at least be a gentleman for once in your life?" Clarisse said angrily before getting up and finding someone else to dance with.

Jared felt a little twinge of remorse. Maybe it was wrong for him to use Clarisse, but she was available and willing. He just didn't want to be alone in case Ondine did show up with Ben, but now he felt stupid because of his premature planning. The light on his phone lit up as did his face as he saw who the text was from.

"Who's this?"

"Jay."

He loved that nickname. No one else had ever used it for him before and now no one else is allowed to use it but Ondine.

"Are you drunk texting me? Shouldn't you be drunk dancing at the wedding right now?"

"I'm not drunk. And no, I don't want to drunkenly dance with all the old aunts present at this wedding."

Ondine laughed at the reply. "Couldn't find a younger date, huh?"

"Actually, I do have a date."

"So why don't you dance with her? Why are you wasting your time texting me?"

"Because Clarisse is not who I want to be with."

Ondine's blood ran cold at what she read. So their casual relationship was back on then. She didn't know why she felt sadness envelope her. It was what she wanted after all, right? For her and Jared to keep the status quo?

"Well don't keep Clarisse waiting. I better go, I think you have forgotten the time difference. It's nearly 2 AM here. Good night!"

Jared cursed himself. Why did he mention Clarisse?! His evening just kept getting better and better, he thought sarcastically.

He let out a frustrated sigh, but texted her back anyway. 

"I'm sorry if I woke you up. I didn't think about the time difference. I just really wanted to say hi to you."