Treize

"Jay, can we talk about this later?" Ondine whispered to Jared. "It's my brother's party..."

"Ames," he pulled her away. "Excuse us, Aiden, Ems."

Ondine couldn't do anything but let him lead her away towards the water, where they can converse on their own. She took her wedge sandals off, and Jared held them for her. He intertwined their fingers as they walked, further and further into the darkness, farther and farther away from the lights and music of the party. They walked in silence, Ondine wasn't sure what to say.

"Jay..."

"Ames, I don't want to hold you back, but we just...what are we?"

"We're friends."

"Ames..."

"I mean, I know I just said I liked you, and I do, I really do, but, Jay, I'm not gonna hold you back. Six months is a long time. I just want you to be free to do what you want, with whomever you want. I don't want us to start something, and then..." she trailed off. "I don't want a repeat of Drake," she said quietly.

"Ames," he dropped her shoes to the ground and cupped her face. "I love you."

"What?" Ondine was clearly taken aback.

"I love you."

"Do you know what you're saying?"

"I know what I'm saying. Ames, I don't do love; I don't even do like; commitments; sleeping with just one woman. But it's only been you since I've met you. I've done as you wished, that we should get to know each other first, to be friends. You said the next time we slept together was because we were in love. And I am in love with you. I am in love with everything about you. I liked the feisty, saucy girl from the airport so many months ago, but I fell in love with the nice, caring woman I have gotten to know."

Ondine couldn't stop the tears from falling down her eyes. He wiped her tears, but they just kept sliding down her cheeks. She buried her face on his chest, wetting the black polo shirt he wore.

"Jay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I said I liked you at the most inopportune time. I should've just ignored you. This wouldn't have happened if we just continued hating each other. I'm sorry I forgot about Vienna. I have every intention of going, Jay. To be a part of an orchestra, playing Beethoven's symphonies...it's what a concert pianist aspires to do."

"Ames, I know that, babe. I understand you. I'm a musician as well, and we're just breaking ground now. Like I said, I don't want to stop you, but I need you to label us."

"Friends."

"Ames," Jared said frustratedly.

"Jay, I don't want to hold you back as much as you don't want to hold me back. And the way I see it remaining friends is the only way for that to happen."

"Ames, after yesterday, after we made love, we're still just friends to you?"

"Yes," she looked down, tore her eyes away from his intense gaze.

"I'll be your friend then. But I am a friend who is in love with you. Just remember that."

"Let's just take this one day at a time," she managed a genuine smile and wiped her cheeks again. "Now let's go back to the party, is that okay?"

"Fine," he smiled back at her, his smile not reaching his eyes. He kissed her gently on the lips before leading her back to the party.

He slipped her shoes back on her feet when they reached the tent where the party was being held. They walked together to the buffet station where he carried both of their plates while she piled them high with food. They sat down at the table where Ben and the rest of the gang sat. Ondine gave Ben a quick hug as she sat next to him, excited to see her friend after not having seen him in a long time.