Chapter 3: Maybe, a Beautiful Friendship

Sorry this took so long! It’s three AM and I just finished self-checking it so sorry if it’s not the best word for word!

Chapter 3: Maybe a Beautiful Friendship

Skylar took of her flats and handed them to Jenna, who was silently standing by. Jenna acted as a mother figure to Sky when Layla left. Without another word Skylar turned and headed up the stairs, hoping to disappear without her father noticing her. She almost got away too.

“Skylar Marie Rivers.” Skylar flinched when she heard the tone of his voice. He used her full name, which was bad when she was little and they were a happy family, but now it just reminded Skylar that she was related to him. Skylar took a strand of her hair and saw a bit of red coming through the blonde. She remained silent.

“Who was that boy?” His voice was calm but harsh. This man was nothing like the man she once knew and loved. Again she remained silent. Martin was losing his patience. He walked up the steps and spun his daughter around forcefully.

“Who was that boy!?” Skylar flinched again, and pulled her arm away.

“No one. He was just giving me a ride.” Martin scoffed.

“Do not lie to me! Who was he?” Skylar felt a tear slip down her face. She started walking up the stairs.

“A friend.” With that she turned and ran to her room. Ignoring her father’s curses that echoed from downstairs as she cried herself to sleep.

Kenneth pulled into his driveway. Before he went home he stopped to get the bread for his mom-was it bread? He didn’t care either way. When he was reaching for the bread on the seat he noticed a white letter on the car floor. Slowly he reached down to get it. When he flipped it over, he realized it was addressed to Skylar. There was no return address. He started to open the top, then stopped.

‘I shouldn’t be doing this.’ Kenneth thought while staring at it. ‘This could be private…whatever!!’

He fully opened the letter and pulled out the note inside. It was a woman’s handwriting. He just skimmed through the pages. The note was from her mother. Come to think of it, Kenneth has never seen her mother.

‘Maybe they’re divorced.’ He thought again. And when he continued reading he found out that her mom left Skylar with her father. That was a sick thing for a mom to do. Kenneth kept reading. He paused at one spot.

“First day, we change your hair back to its radiant colour” He read aloud. Back to her radiant colour? What did that mean? Kenneth thought her hair was always blonde. Did she dye it? Sighing he put the letter back in the envelope. He would give it back to her tomorrow-but what bugged him was that he couldn’t ask her about her hair, or she would know he read it.

‘Damn.’ He thought. He grabbed the bread and headed inside. Strangely looking forward to tomorrow when he would she the non-blonde girl again.

“OH MY GOSH! YOU DID NOT!” Skylar sighed as Kelsey overreacted. She was sitting on the bench in the change room while Kelsey did her make-up. Today she put on dark blue jeans, and a red plaid shirt-but Kelsey had tied it up so the top made a heart shape, and the sleeves were wrapped around then tied in a bow. (Look at photo on side) Kelsey just finished adding a light white eye shadow when Skylar made the mistake to tell her about what happened with Kenneth last night.

“I can’t believe you two actually went out on a date!” Skylar lightly slapped her friend on the shoulder.

“Be quiet about it! And it wasn’t a date!” Kelsey smirked down at her naïve friend. She finished putting the make-up back in the bag and headed out the door.