Chapter 10: Okay, Now There's Action

It was quiet. That was the first thing Heather realised. The second was that it was an unnatural silence. She cautiously lifted herself off the ground and gripped her double-ended axe. Step. Step. 'Check your back. Keep alert.'

     The darkness became clearer as she looked around. Keep alert. That was when she heard the rustle. A soft swish in the glowing leaves. Taking a breath, Heather slowly turned around. In the midst of the gleaming trees was a pair of eyes, crimson and inky.

     A roar erupted from the trees. Heather jumped, running back as the Mindbender sprung out of the shadows; it snarled viciously, glaring at the weapon in her hands. She dropped it like it was on fire, cringing at the clang as it hit the ground. "It's okay," She assured. "I'm not here to fight you."

     The Mindbender paid her words no attention. With narrowed eyes, it hissed and bounded after the rider. She ducked out of the way, rolling under the belly of the beast. Grabbing her axe, Heather gritted her teeth. This was going to be harder than hoped.

     "Heather!" She snapped around to see riders and dragons alike charging towards the Mindbender (with the twins knocking their heads on a tree). Windshear shot through them all, smashing against the Mindbender. Everyone paused and watched in awe as the moonlight glinted off them both, silver flashes against gold flares in the navy dusk.

     "Uh, guys?" Sigrun's unsure voice broke through their astonishment and everyone shook their heads.

"Charge!" Astrid cried, yelling as she and Stormfly marched to the battling dragons; the others followed suit. Heather grinned and yelled, rushing to the Mindbender and sneaking through its defenses. She observed as it, surprisingly, only focused on keeping the riders away instead of taking action itself. 'That's weird...' She thought, nodding to Sigrun as she dragged Iver away from the danger.

     Said redhead found herself hiding near the trees, unsure of what to do. She watched in anticipation as everyone tried to subdue the Mindbender. 'Come on, come on,' She bit her lip. 'What to do, what to do, what to do?'

     "Snotlout, Fishlegs, take the rear!" Hiccup instructed, blocking the Mindbender's fire. "Ruff, Tuff, we need a distraction!"

"On it!" The twins blocked the golden dragon's vision as Snotlout and Fishlegs guarded its back. Sigrun held her breath as Heather swooped in and took steady steps towards the Mindbender.

"Hey, it's okay, it's alright." She soothed. "We don't want to fight you. It's alright."

     The Mindbender sniffed at her, narrowing its eyes before roaring. It zoomed up, knocking over the two behind it. Finally getting fed up, the wild dragon gave out another ear-piercing roar and slammed its triple-ended tail across every dragon surrounding it.

"Toothless!" Hiccup raced forth to his knocked out Night Fury, when the same tail shoved him to the side.

"Hiccup - oof!" Astrid ended up being knocked out as well, along with everyone else.

     Meanwhile, Sigrun and Iver watched in horror as their friends were beaten one after the other. "Guys, you're the greatest team of Vikings I've ever known." She muttered under her breath as Astrid was pushed to the side. "Don't let such an easy attack beat you!"

"That's it, I'm going in!" Iver choked as Sigrun pulled him back.

She glared, causing him to gulp. "Like Helheim you are, lover-boy."

"Then what exactly should we do?" He argued. "What do you propose?"

"Simple." Sigrun stood up. "I propose you let me take over."