17.

Two weeks later

Aurora and I found my daughter, as we were walking down the beach. I watch her play soccer with a few kids on the beach. One of the kids kick the ball a bit hard and it flies towards us. I catch the ball before it can hit me.

My daughter runs over to me and she freezes when she sees it's me. She blinks a couple of times trying to make sure that I'm really there.

I put my finger to my lips. "When you get a chance go to the restroom and I'll meet you there."

"Okay," she whispers.

I give her the ball and head in the direction of the restroom.

Aurora looks at me. "I'll get the car. We have to be quick."

I know we do. I want to get out of here as quick as I can and get my daughter back to where she'll be safe. She's not safe in the hands of her father.

I scan the area and make sure that my ex hasn't seen me on the beach.

When I get home I'm going to put an AVO out on my ex and make sure that he can't go anywhere near my daughter again. Then I'll make an appointment with a lawyer and change the girl's surnames to Landon's.

They're not going to be my girls anymore. Landon's going to be there father too and I'm glad he wants to take the responsibility of being a parent to two kids that aren't his.

Walking into the restroom I stand by the mirror and splash water on my face. My hands begin to shake as I wait for my daughter to come in.

A couple of minutes later, my daughter walks in and she looks at me. "Mom, Dad is waiting for me out there. How are we going to get out of here with him blocking the door?"

I look around the restroom and see a window. I open it. "This way, but you're going to have wait for me to come out." I lift her up and she grabs onto the window sill and jumps out. I follow her out. Jumping out the window I grab her hand and run to the car that has the doors open for us. "Get in the car."

Looking at the restroom I hear my ex yelling out to his daughter. I climb into the car and shut the door. "Aurora, get us out of here. He doesn't know that we're here."

She pushes down on the accelerator and I look at Abi. "Hey, baby. You're safe now."

Abi pulls her seatbelt off and she moves over to me. "I knew you would come for me, Mommy." She frowns. "Where's Landon and Bex?"

"They're waiting for you at home. This time we're going to make sure that you're not going to be taken from us again, Abi. There will be more security to keep you safe. I'm sorry that I left you unprotected."

She places her hand on my face. "It's not your fault. A parent should know that their kids are safe without additional protection, but it looks like Bex and I are different to most kids our age."

She's smart for age.

Looking at her I say. "Get back into your seat and put your belt on. Once your father finds out that I was there he's going to come after us."

Her face pales. "You're not going to let him take me back are you?"

I shake my head.

I'll kill him before he gets his hands onto my daughter again. She needs stability in her life and to be around the people that love her.

The car is hit from behind and I see him behind the wheel with a gun in his hand. He aims it at the Aurora. "You need to get us out of here. I don't want to have a shoot out on the interstate and have the public in danger because of his reckless actions."

Aurora speeds up and I watch as she takes us off the interstate and into a quiet street. She turns towards me. "Are you ready to do what you have to, to protect your family?"

I stroke my daughter's hair. "I'm ready to do what's best for them." I kiss Abi on the cheek. "I need to talk to your father." Putting my hand in my bag I pull out the gun and take the safety off.

Abi has her head pulled into her knees and she has tears falling down her face. "I love you, Mommy. Please, hurry back."

I step out of the car and slam the door shut. Coming to a stop in front of my ex I say. "You have two options. Go back to where ever you were hiding. Or I will kill you."

He throws his head back and laughs. "You'll never kill me, Mikayla. You're a good person and you'll feel guilty if you killed the person that gave you that girl in there."

I shake my head. "I'll sleep like a baby without you in the picture. I won't have to look over my shoulder and make sure that you're not close to taking my daughter from me."

He steps out of the car. "When I'm gone. There will be more people after Abi. She won't ever be safe because she belongs to someone that's not you. I promised her to someone and they will come for her when she's eighteen and there won't be anything you'll be able to do. So, enjoy the time you have with her."

I point the gun at his head. "That's not going to happen."

All traces of my daughter is going to be wiped from the system and no one is going to know what she looks like. Until the day I die, I will do everything in my power to protect her and Bex.

They are my children and my life.

I pull the trigger and shoot him in the head. "I hope you enjoy hell, bastard." I walk away from the scene and put the gun into my bag. Looking at Aurora I say. "Take us home. I have a family to get back too."

Abi doesn't look at me as I climb into the car. She remains quiet as we head back to the interstate.

I don't know what to say to her.

My phone starts to ring and I see Robbie flash across the screen. A smile spreads across my face.

Me: Hey, Bro.

Robbie: Are you coming home?

Me: Yes, I am.

Robbie: Good,

He lets everyone know that I'm coming home.

Robbie: Landon's here with, Bex. He told me that he couldn't stay in the house without you.

Me: Can I talk to him?

I hear the phone being passed to Landon.

Landon: Did you get our girl?

Me: Yes, I did. I look over at her and she holds her hand out for me to give her the phone. Abi wants to talk to you.

I give the phone to her.

Abi: Hey, Dad.

Landon: Hey, pumpkin. I'm glad you're safe and coming home.

Abi: Me, too. I can't wait to see Bex and you.

She gives me the phone and I tell Landon that I love him before I hang up the phone.