I'm Not A Hero

I had an interview with the NBA channel the afternoon I got out of the hospital. Blake drove me to the studio. Because of the accident, I can't drive, write, eat, put my contacts in, do my own hair and make up, or get out of a car by myself. I got shot in my right arm, my dominant arm. Until I am all set to be without a sling, I can't do anything. All I can do with my left hand is dribble a ball. This is gonna be a long, long recovery. Shaq and Charles Barkley met us in the studio. They helped me into a chair and each sat on one side of me. The cameras started rolling and it was time to do the interview. 

"How do you feel?" Shaq asked. 

"Pretty crappy. I can't do anything because I am right handed." I said. 

"I'm sorry to hear that." 

"So, tell us what happened?" Charles said. 

"Well, I was just having a normal shooting practice with Chris and I guess I moved the wrong way. I just all of sudden felt a sting in my arm and I dropped to the ground and blacked out. My memory came back to me when I woke up during surgery. I had been in and out of consciousness the whole time. Chris had ran over to me to put pressure on the wound. It went through my arm and he had to put pressure on both sides of the wound. He had slid me up onto his lap and the whole time he was telling me it was gonna be alright and to just stay with him. By that, he meant like stay conscious and all that. I had been unconscious when the ambulance came and I woke up in surgery." 

"Was it an accident?" Shaq asked. 

"Yeah, the guy who shot me actually came over to help any way he could." 

"Wow, you are a true hero. Surviving something like this. You lost a lot of blood." 

"Yeah, I ruined Chris' camo." 

"I don't think he cares. He should just be glad that you are alive." Charles said. 

"He is but I still said sorry for getting blood all over his camo." 

"Well, at least you thought about something like that." 

"Yeah, I guess so." 

"Are you ever gonna pick up a gun again?" Shaq asked. 

"Yeah, I mean, its in my blood. I'm a hunter and a basketball player, I can't live without the two." 

"How long are you gonna be out for the season?" 

"Four to five months." 

"Are you going to travel with the team?" Charles asked. 

"Yeah, for some games. I can promise all my fans that I will be at the all-star game in Connecticut and I will sign as many autographs as I can. My arm will be out of this sling by then and I will be able to write." 

"Will you be able to drive?" Shaq asked. 

"No, I can't drive till my rehab is almost over." 

"Who will be driving you?" 

"Well, I have a boyfriend who can when he is in town, my best friend Jade, and my best friends mom who is like my mother." 

"Its nice to see that you are looking at the upside to this and not the downside." Charles said. 

"Well, I learned that if you look at the downside, all you will be is depressed. I don't want to be at that state. I want to still be that energetic kid that everybody loves to see on the court. Yeah, at some points I do feel like it is the end of the world and I'm pathetic because I can't do the stuff I used to be able to do. Yes, I do feel like giving up. To get out of that, I have to surround myself with people that love and care for me. People who will and know how to make me laugh in times of need. Everybody feels like giving up sometimes but you just gotta look ahead a little because somewhere past the hurt is happiness." 

"You are a wonderful person and I see why so many little girls look up to you. You speak words of wisdom and you mean them when you say them." 

"If you don't mean the words you say, don't say them." 

"One last question. Do you ever feel like you won't be able to be the person you used to be?" Charles asked. 

"I am still the same person I used to be. A hard working girl who loves her job. I am dedicated to the sport and with hard work and dedication, I will get back to the player I used to be." 

"It was nice to have you with us today." Shaq said. My interview was over and it was on to the next one. Each interview went the same way, they asked the same questions and said the same things. I just don't get how I am a hero. What do they see in me that I don't?