Close Call

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream." -Eminem

_______________________________________________________________________________

 "Lis, where did you put my grey shirt?" Derek calls from the bedroom. Oh, I don't know, maybe a grown man should know where his laundry is!

"In the closet," I respond tiredly, scrubbing the china bowl once more before placing it in the cabinet. I'm still thinking about Spencer.

Spencer Reid.

Spencer Reid, Spencer Reid, Spencer Reid...

"Thanks, Lis." Immediately I feel guilty for thinking about him. Why am I such an awful person?

"No problem. Is the team... going anywhere tonight?" I call back, hoping to be invited so I can see those angelic brown eyes.

"Oh, yeah, we're going to Rossi's for some sort of specialty dinner." He laughs to himself. "You wanna go?"

"Sure, if it's okay," I'm practically pleading with my boyfriend to go see.. well.. for lack of a better word.. my lover. 

"Of course. You can wear that one dress, with the red," I can tell he's smiling to himself. Of course, I know exactly the dress he's talking about. It's short-sleeved with an open back. He's such a child.

"Alright," I sigh, loud enough for him to hear. I want to hear more about the team.

"I think pretty boy has the hots for you, Lis." He's chuckling to himself. I can see myself in the reflection on the granite: a horrified look on my face, as red as a beet.

So he did notice. "Oh,"

That's all I can manage before holding onto the counter for support. What's wrong with me? Why am I about to faint?

"I'm glad you're mine, though." That was a close call. I breathe a silent sigh of relief, wringing my hands as I stand up from the granite counter.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I was about to ask if I looked okay, but I decided I didn't want Derek's opinion, to be honest. So I just stand in front of the full-body mirror: the red dress, my hair curled, barely reaching my shoulders, black stilettos, and, of course, makeup.

This reminds me of what Charlotte was wearing on that day. Dear Lord, please don't let that happen to me.

"We're also going to the movies afterwards, me, Garcia, Reid, and JJ." Derek calls from the living room. Oh no, no, no, no, no. I can't chicken out, or everybody  will know.

"Dressed like this?" I ask, my voice slightly hoarse.

"Why not?"

Alright. I'll be fine..

_______________________________________________________________________________

Ding-dong. The doorbell's noise annoys me, to be honest. I don't like the way it sounds like it's sneering at me; oh, you don't deserve to be alive, cheater, it seems to say as I ring it.

Okay. I'm being a freak.

"Ah, Alice and Derek! You look wonderful, Alice," Rossi greets me as he opens the door in a flourish. My face heats up a bit.

"Thanks."

We step inside, and immediately, I'm relieved that I hadn't dressed up too much, JJ and Garcia and Emily are wearing dresses, too. That's better, right?