Prologue

Dallas:

I ran down the street pushing pass anyone who was in my way.  I quickly made a short turn around the corner hearing the scratching rubber at the bottom of my sneakers tear apart. I turned around seeing Brent and his guys on my ass. I had quickly ran into the back of a convenience store alley. It was probably one of the worst ideas I planned yet.

It was a dead end. The wall  was too high to climb, so I just stood there tightly holding my pocket knife behind my back.

 I watched as Brent and his gang of guys caught up to me. A contented smile appeared on Brent's face. 

"So you think you could fuck my girl and get away with it, huh?" He said stopping in his tracks. I wasn't scared. His little "crew" didn't faze me at all. There were about three guys including Brent.

"It's not my fault you weren't giving it to her right." A smiled formed on my face as I watched Brent's expression look even more pissed. The grip on my pocket knife tighten. You're probably wondering why I would use a pocket knife instead of "fighting fair". Well it's because there's three against one, and like my uncle always says "If it's not a fair fight use what ever weapon there is to protect you. Even if there's a hundred of them." Gosh I miss that old psychopath.

I kept my eyes locked on Brent as he inched closer. His guys were standing back, but I was still caution about them. 

"Don't worrying Dallas it's just me and you. One on one, right now." He said pulling his hands into a fist. That kind of assured me the other guys weren't going to jump in, but in case they did I still have my knife. I put the weapon away pulling my fists up.

With almost 5 years of competitive boxing Brent sure as hell didn't know what he was about get himself into.

"Ya ready asshole." I said staring at him. I couldn't wait to bash this guy's head in.

"Ready when you are."

"Good." Just when I was about to swing, blue and red bright lights circled  around us following a loud siren.

"Put your hands over your heads!" The cop yelled.

And in just that day we were all sent to a night in jail.

But it's nothing I hadn't experienced before.

Ava:

"What the hell is this, Ava?" My mom yelled bursting through my bedroom door.

"What?" I sat up on my bed practically peeing myself.

"This!" She pointed to the black bold letter C- sitting right next to my U.S. History class on my report card.

"Haven't we went over this young lady! Why the hell would you come home with a C minus on your report card." Her face was practically red like a tomato.

"Mom it's not that big of a deal, I'll try harder next time." I sat there watching the vein pop out on her forehead. Uh oh she's about to hit the fan.

"Are you kidding me Ava Faye! Are freaking kidding?!"

"Mom, I'm sorry I promise I'll do better next time." I tried not to say anything that would make her even more mad than she already is.

"Don't tell me you'll do better next time. You're smarter than a lousy C minus Ava and you know that." Her tone was a bit calm now but you can still hear the disappointment in her voice.

I hate disappointing my parents..

 "I'm sorry it'll never happen again." I looked down playing with the handmade yarn bracelet on my wrist.

"Well until you get that grade back up, I have no choice but to confiscate your phone." She placed her hand out.

"But mom please." I begged her I knew she wouldn't budge but it was worth a try.

"Give it to me now, Ava." She said again. I took my once charging iPhone off my desk and gave it to her. 'At least I still have my laptop' I thought in my head. But the only reason she didn't take that was because I needed it for homework. 

"You'll get it back when I see an A+." And with that she shut the door behind her letting the quietness fill my room.

I lied back down on my bed wiping a tear from my eye.

Well, I guess it's nothing I hadn't experienced before.