Chapter four

Not edited-

   I stared blankly at Nolan. He sat on the couch, staring back into my eyes with a look of both triumph and surprise. I was pulled from my trance when he began to speak. 

   "Rosalynne, is it?" He stood up and smiled, walking over to my stiff figure. Luna Erian nudged me forward a bit, encouraging me to do something. 

   "Yes." I answered, not able to tear my gaze from his. "I didn't get your name..." 

   His smile drew wider, "Nolan. Nolan Swords." 

   "Nolan," I repeated, "Nice to meet you." I smiled as he took my hand and brought his lips to the back of it. The familiar tingles set up my arm just by his touch. God, this is bliss. 

   Wait. 

   Huh?

   LENTUS. 

   I tried to persuade my wolf to calm herself, but nothing would work. No matter how many times I told her it couldn't happen, she forced the word onto me. 

   Mate.  

   "Okay, everyone. Dinner is on the table!" Luna Erian smiled brightly at everyone in the room, not showing even the slightest distaste for the Lentus Family that sat in her home. I admired her enthusiasm for everything she did. Really. She's someone to look up to. 

   We all filed into the elegant dining room, taking our places at the long table covered with food. Nolan pulled my chair out for me like a gentlemen, then sat beside me. Of course. 

   I wished he would stop acting like this. Two Alpha families were in the same room, and if they figured out that we know each other, we're screwed. I can only imagine what would happen to me if Alpha Richman found out...or what would happen to Nolan. 

   "Dig in, everyone." Alpha spoke, smiling his "genuine" smile. I mentally rolled my eyes. I'm still being forced into this, but it's worth it if I'll be with Nolan. 

   Wait. What? 

   Ugh. 

  Dinner went by slowly, with a minimum amount of small talk, and the maximum amount of tension. Having two Alphas in one room was always an uncomfortable situation, my father used to tell me. I had never experienced it before now. Now, I wish I could leave. 

   "So, Rosalynne, are you excited for this?" Alpha Richman asked me while the two Lunas bickered over who would bring dessert out. Eventually, they left the room deciding they would each help. I bit the inside of my lip to refrain from blurting out my real answer. No. 

   "Definitely, Alpha. It's an honor." I replied with the most enthusiasm I could muster towards the subject. Nolan glanced at me before locking his gaze on the Alpha. He knew something...he was thinking hard about it, too. I could see it in his face. I could feel it in me. 

   "And Noah, is it?" Richman tilted his head in question. Nolan shook his head, looking him right in the eye. 

   "Nolan." His voice came with a sharp edge. My eyes widened as I stared at my hands in my lap. No one has ever spoken to Richman like that. Not that I know of. 

   "Ah," Richman nodded, "Nolan. So, are you really up for this kind of thing? Rosalynne is our former Lead Warrior's daughter. She's got a lot of potential." He bragged. I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks. Why is he bragging? There's o competition here. 

   "Former Lead Warrior's daughter?" Alpha Swords cut in, folding his hands over the table, staring across at Alpha Richman. 

   "Yes. Former." 

   "Why, former? Why is he not still Lead Warrior? A good Pack Warrior doesn't just run from his position, even if he's injured." Alpha Swords spat, making me tense. I felt the tears begin to flood my eyes. I didn't dare look up from my lap as I spoke. 

  "He was killed. Both my parents were." My voice came out stronger than I had expected, surprising everyone. I still didn't dare look up. Everyone was silent. 

   Both Lunas entered the room, carrying cakes. Luna Erian held a dark, rich-looking chocolate one that caught me by a hook the second she entered with it. Luna Isabel entered with a lights, white frosted cake that smelled like Heaven. This was the only reason I looked up from my lap after the uncomfortable situation I had put myself into. 

   I realized that now would be the best time to make an excuse and leave. Both Lunas set the cakes down as Erian described which cake was which. I wasn't paying any attention. I was lost in my own thoughts. I had lost my appetite, and I wasn't in the mood to enjoy anything really. 

   "My apologies, but I should be getting home. My aunt expects me home in ten minutes, and I'd like to pack her a plate of leftovers before I leave, if you don't mind." I stood from my chair, stepping back from it and pushing it back underneath the table. Luna Erian looked at me with disappointed eyes. 

   "So soon, love?" I nodded, "Alright, then. Go ahead and pack some of the leftovers. While you're at it, pack some for your uncle and Santiago." 

   "Nolan, honey, why don't you help her? She's got three plates to carry back to her house." Luna Isabel shooed her son away to follow me into the kitchen. I kept my head down as I grabbed a plate, piling food onto it for Santiago first. I heard a plate clink against another as Nolan began to follow my process. We stayed silent. 

   After we had wrapped up all three of the plates, Nolan helped we carry them to the front door, opened the door for me, and walked me home. A light went on in the living room and the door unlocked. Slowly, Santiago appeared in the doorway with an angered look on his face. 

   "Where have you been, and why is...he here?" He snapped in Nolan's direction. I quickly handed him the plates of food and he shut up immediately. 

   "Take those to your parents. One is for you." I told him. He eyed Nolan skeptically before going inside. I grabbed Nolan's hand before dragging him up to my room. I needed to talk to him about this. I needed to know what the hell was going on. 

   Nolan stopped once we entered my room, and I locked the door behind us. He stepped closer to me and rested his hands gently on my waist. "Why am I up here, Rosalynne?" He asked in a husky tone. I looked into his eyes, and I wanted to tell him everything that's been on my mind lately. He was someone that looked sincere. Like, he could listen to your for hours and not interrupt, then give the best advice he could think of. 

   "I need to know what's happening." 

   He raised an eyebrow. "With what?" 

   "Everything. I want to know why I feel like this. I want to know why I got chosen to do this instead of one of the males. I want to know everything you know about this." I didn't dare tear my gaze from his as I finished my rate. 

   He pulled me closer so our lips were inches away before whispering, "Fate."