Chapter five

Not edited- 

It took me a few seconds to compehend what he was telling me. I didn't know why or how this was all happening, but that one word seemed to have summed it up. I mean, in his mind. I didn't understand the concept of fate. Us meeting, becoming partners..."Fate" couldn't begin to decribe what I was feeling. Okay, maybe it could.

"What do you mean, Nolan?" He took my chin between his index finger and thumb, tilting it gently up to look into the sea of blue I found myself so drawn to. I quickly shook myself rid of the thought and stepped away from him, folding my arms.

"What do I mean? Think about it, Rosy. We found each other; we have an undeniable connection. You can't possibly be asking me this question." He grunted, sitting himself down on my bed. "Fate put us together. For what reason, I don't know. But, we're here, we're going to be around each other much more, so we may as well make the best of it, yeah?" I struggled to keep my walls up. It was almost impossible, given the fact that he made me lose self control just by a simple poke. Pathetic, I know.

"Make the best of what?" I gave him a cold glare, and a flicker of hurt flashed across his face. I immediately regretted the way I had been treating him. He really was a sweet person, no matter how arrogant or persistent.

"You want to know what?" His once soft gaze turned to a hard glare. I involuntarily took a step back as images clouded my mind.

Hand.

Sting.

Floor.

Tall.

Patch.

Nolan must have noticed the look I was giving him. He stood up from the bed quickly, making me flinch. He slowed his actions, walking over to me cautiously. I didn't dare look up at him. I was all too aware of the consequences. The memories continued to replay in my head. I felt my eyes burn with unshed tears. Jeez, I hate crying.

"Rosy?"

I trembled with fear. Oh Goddess, please, don't let him be the same.

I closed my eyes tight, in fear of the events to come.

Though the only physical contact that was made was a gentle embrace. He pulled me into his arms with a tenderness I hadn't known to be possible. His warm breath fanned over my shoulder as he bent to my level, his arms engulfing me. I felt safe. I felt small. I felt protected.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, "I didn't mean to frighten you."

"You should go...Alpha Richman will be suspicious. We'll talk some other time."

And with that, his kissed me gingerly on the forehead and left. I slid down my door after closing it behind Nolan, and brought my knees to my chest. A hot tear slid down my face, and I wiped it away as if it were acid.

I won't let him break my walls. No one will.

***

Later that week, I was literally shaking. My veins were frozen, the thin blanket I was given to protect me from the cold not working in the slightest. My teeth chartered, and the cold air stung my cheeks. How the he'll is it so cold in here?! 

I pulled the blanket to my chin and curled up into the tightest human ball possible.  

Nothing. No warmth.  

"Rosy, just get over here. You're cold, I'm warm." Nolan groaned from the other side of the room. Alpha Rich man didn't want us getting into any "funny business," so he put us at separate sides of the room in small beds. If he used half the effort he did while trying to keep us apart and put it into getting a heater for the cabin, I'd be in a warm slumber right about now.  

"So?" I hugged myself. "I'm fine."

I heard his bed springs squeak, and I knew he got up from his bed. Where was he going?

The bed dipped down under his weight, making me gasp in surprise. "Nolan!" He chuckled lowly, pulling half the blanket over himself and pulling me closer. "Jeez, you're freezing, love." He ran his warm hands over my cold skin. 

"No shit." I muttered. "Just go to sleep..." 

"No problem," he kissed the skin behind my ear before whispering, "Not with you in my arms."