Chapter six

Not edited-

 (Play video on the side and listen as you read. Stop it once you finish the italics.) I watched as they lowered my parents' caskets into the ground, fighting back the tears that threatened to fall. I could feel the eyes on me. They were all looking at me. They all saw beneath my act. They knew how I was feeling. 

   Santiago hugged me to his chest, smoothing my hair down in a loving way. He combed his fingers through its great length, murmuring reassuring nothings to me as our audience decreased in size. He was trying to help, but really, nothing could help me right now. 

   I reached up to my chest, pulling the purple pendant from the valley of my breasts. I clutched the small gold locket as if it were my lifeline and let out a heart-wrenching sob. Santiago pulled me closer, completely engulfing me in his arms. 

   "It'll all turn out okay, Rose...you just wait." He spoke to me. 

   Everything faded into black. The graveyard I stood in - now alone - was empty and dark. It brought on an eerie feeling of caution. The bright green leaves on the trees withered away as the clouds rolled in. Dark, angry clouds. Lightning came from each direction, striking me straight in the chest. 

   As I stumbled back, two strong arms caught hold of me. I crumpled to the ground, not bothering to thank the person who had saved me from falling.  

   "Let me fall to my death. I'm nothing without them." I sobbed into my hands. My cries ripped the silence in the air, a cold feeling surrounding me. 

   Two hands gripped my wrists, pulling my hands from my face. I immediatley recognized the tattoos as Nolan. I looked up to meet his eyes, and to my surprise, I calmed almost instantly. 

   "And I am nothing without you, my Angel. Don't ever leave me. You're Mine. My Precious Mate..." 

   The world faded into black. 

   I jolted up into a seated position, the bed springs screeching beneath me in complaint. I looked to my side to see the empty space Nolan had left. Where could he be? I wondered to myself. 

   A male voice caught my attention. I listened intently, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. All I knew was, he wasn't Nolan. A shatter and a curse sounded from outside the bedroom door. I stood up as slowly as possible, avoiding the sound of the bed springs. My claws protruded from my fingertips, my teeth growing in size as I prepared for attack. 

   I walked slowly over to the door and ripped it open, On the other side of it was a male with brown, short hair. He was tall, but not as tall as Nolan. 

   I tackled him to the floor, holding him by his neck. I squeezed until his face turned a red color, my hand raised as a threat. I could feel that my eyes were the blue my Wolf's glowed. I glared into his eyes. 

   "Who are you? Why are you here?" I growled. He was gripping at my wrist, trying to pull me away. 

   "Can-Can't," he gasped, "Talk!" 

   "Rose, get off of him. He's not a wolf. He's no harm to you." Nolan's voice spoke from the kitchen. I looked up at him, then at the "intruder" and released his throat. He gasped for air as I got off of him, clawing at the wooden floorboards to stand. 

   I folded my arms across my chest, staring at the boy in disgust. "Then what is he doing here?" 

   Nolan scratched the back of his neck, and looked between the boy and I. I raised an eyebrow. "He's uh...he's my best friend." 

   "More like brother." The boy spoke. I glared at him, immediately shutting him up. I had calmed down, my claws retracting along with my teeth. I could only imagine what I looked like to him. 

   "Again, what is he doing here?" I asked with less patience. 

   "He's handy with a gun." Nolan shrugged. The boy smirked, sitting down beside his best friend. 

   I sighed. "So what? He's not in on this, is he?" I spoke too soon. 

   "Tristan. Tristan Goodwin. And, just for the record, with me on your side, you'll be in no danger whatsoever. I've got an eye for things." Tristan stuck his hand out to me. I shook it with an unidentifiable sense of caution. 

   "Good. Because if I die, I'll haunt you in your dreams. Every night. For the rest of your life." 

***

   "Okay, so this is how this is going to work. Stay on the balls of your feet," I bounced side to side on the balls of my feet, demonstrating as I spoke, "and stay light. Don't force the speed." 

   Nolan and Tristan watched as I meneuvered my way around them with amazing speed. (I'm so modest.) Tristan stuck his arm out as I got to him, and I ducked under it, standing behind him and pushed the back of his head. He fell face first onto the dirt of the clearing we stood in, just 40 yards from the cabin. 

   Nolan laughed as Tristan picked himself back up, his eyes filled with anger and frustration. He swung at me, and I caught his arm. He swung with the other, and groaned when I caught it. I giggled as he tried to kick my feet from beneath me. I jumped over him, bringing him to the ground and kneeling on his arms. He attempted to bring his legs up to kick me, but failed. 

   "No fair. You're been trained." He huffed. 

   "Only by the best," I said, referring to my father, "Now it's Nolan's turn." I smirked up at the tall build of werewolf that stood before me. This time, we would be in Form. 

   I released Tristan and felt my fingernails grow into claws. As I was about to lunge, a moving black blur caught my eye. It wasn't fast, but fast enough to be in and out of my sight. Nolan and I exchanged glances, and mentally spoke to each other. 

   I'll go. Stay here with your friend. I ran off to follow the thing. When I caught up, I realised it was a girl. Her hair flew freely behind her. She reeked of Rogue. She was running back to the clearing, obviously not aware of me following her. 

   Once she got close enough, she began to lunge for Tristan. His eyes went wide in fear just before I tackled her to the side. I pinned her wrists above her head, growling into her face. She looked sweet, almost harmless. But she was a Rogue. 

   "Why are you here?" I barked. She looked challengingly into my eyes before spitting venomessly back at me. 

"I'm the most information you'll ever get."