Unwelcome

D-day, Daniel thought to himself as he waited not so patiently for Gary to arrive with Clair. He still couldn't believe he agreed to this.

Waking up in the early hours of the morning, he had made sure his apartment was spotless, not that much work needed to be done. He left just after 8am to restock his groceries. Whilst he was out he got a text from Gary.

From: Gary Copeland
Picking Clair up at 9. Be ready.

He sent a quick, short text back, tempted to write that she was the one who needed to be ready. But instead he wrote 'will be' although he was anything but.

It was just after 10 and they still hadn't arrived. Daniel hoped that Clair had changed her mind, but just as he started to relax, Gary strolled through the door with a huge grin plastered on his face.

Following him was a petite woman holding a tattered suitcase. Daniel was surprised how he reacted to her. When Gary told him she was pretty, he never expected her to be all that. How wrong he was, he thought to himself. He took in her features. Jet black hair contrasted against her pale skin like porcelain. She was thin and curvy in all the right places and wore ripped jeans that hugged one of those curves like a glove.

"You're doing it again." Gary snapped Daniel from his stare.

"Doing what?" He asked.

Gary turned to Clair.
"I told you he doesn't pay much attention." Clair smiled timidly at this remark. Daniel glared at Gary.

"What? I was introducing you and you just stood there." Daniel walked towards them and extended his hand out in politeness towards Clair.

"Good morning Clair, I'm Daniel. It's nice to meet you." He was shocked at how much truth was in that statement. Clair was hesitant, but finally clasped her small hand in his. She almost caught her breath at the feel of his strong hand squeezing hers, her face heating quickly. Daniel noticed and dropped her hand, although he didn't want to. Clair smiled weakly.

"Hi." The only word that left her plump lips.

"You don't have to be shy around him. He's just like me, but more of an asshole." Clair bit her lip, stifling a laugh. Daniel cracked his knuckles.

"Remember, I'm doing this for you." He stated. Clair's worry grew that she wasn't welcome in this beautiful strangers home. Why would she be? He is exactly that. A stranger.

"Thank you so much for letting me stay with you. I really appreciate it." She tried to sweeten the stale mood. Daniel straightened, not expecting her to thank him.

"It's no problem." He lied. "Gary, show Clair her room." He ordered. Gary offered his hand to Clair, which Daniel noticed she took without hesitation, unlike when he offered his hand. This pissed him off and he wasn't sure why, which pissed him off even more.
~
Clair had been at Daniel's for 4 hours, getting settled into her gorgeously furnished room, which she couldn't help but notice had an incredible view of the city, and chatting with the boys. She noticed that Daniel barely spoke and when he did he said very little.

Daniel was very handsome, with his bright blue eyes and chiselled features, but other than that, she thought, there didn't seem to be much substance.

Gary had left 20 minutes ago, promising her that he would call her later. In all honesty she just wanted to get a decent night sleep and get away from Daniel, who was clearly brooding.

Daniel sat on the opposite side of the sofa to Clair, not wanting to crowd her. He had placed the remote in the middle cushion so she could change the channel if she preferred, but she didn't touch it. He sighed, wishing he could be his charismatic self and make her feel welcome, but he couldn't. He wouldn't allow himself to get close to her. The sooner she was gone the better.

"You don't want me here do you?" Clair's voice startled him from his thoughts. He turned to face her fully and noticed her rubbing her hands with force. Daniel ran his hand through his hair, searching for the right way to go about this. He decided on the truth.

"Clair." He spoke her name to grab her full attention. She turned into the back cushion, facing him directly.

"You're right. I don't want you here, but not because of you. It's me." Clair frowned not understanding. She didn't think it was her personally. How could she, they never met before. It was quiet for a short time.

"I'm sorry. I can't explain anymore than that." Daniel broke the silence.

"I could leave. You don't have to keep me." For some reason, this made Daniel's lip twitch in amusement, but he quickly sobered.

"Would you go back to the hostel?"

Clair shook her head.

"Not that one. The owner wasn't too happy about me leaving without much notice."

Daniel thought hard for a minute. She was offering to leave, which would be the safer option, but he wouldn't want her to be miserable again. Daniel liked her.

"You can stay." He blurted. Clair gave a megawatt smile that nearly blew Daniel off his ass.

"Really?"

Apparently so, he thought.

"Yes. But I think it would be best if you leave as soon as you feel you could live alone." She nodded, but she doubted she'd ever feel like she could be alone again without spiraling out of control. She had been alone for too long.

Daniel drummed his fingers along the back of the sofa, contemplating how he should bring up his next request. He knew he shouldn't say it, but regardless he felt he was obliged to. Not for him and not even for Clair, but for Gary's sake.

"Please don't harm yourself again." He spoke softly, but the knowledge of this startled Clair. She gaped, not knowing how to respond.
Daniel felt the need to explain himself, which didn't happen often, as Clair pulled at her cuffs of her hoodie.

"Gary told me he saw... evidence of you self harming. Just don't do it. There are other ways to deal with inner turmoil." Clair suddenly felt emotional. She never wanted to speak of what she had done to herself.

Daniel suddenly stood and walked out of the room. He was back almost as quickly as he left, holding a rubber band in his hand. He handed it to her.

"When you feel the need, flick this against your wrist. It helps."

She placed the band around her wirst, swallowing past the lump lodged in her throat. Glancing up at Daniel, she saw a pained expression lacing his features, but they were gone in seconds.

"Thank you." She whispered.
Daniel nodded.

"I need to work. Will you be all right for a couple of hours?"
Clair nodded, still quite speechless.

Daniel nodded again and turned to leave, but stopped as he reached the hallway. Without turning he said,
"If at any point I start acting strange in any way, stay away from me. No questions asked. Understand?" Daniel didn't want to frighten Clair, but he felt he had to at least do something to warn her.

Clair didn't understand this request but knew it was some kind of warning and suddenly felt very aware of him. Taking in everything about him so she could assess if he was to start acting strangely.

"Can you define strange?" She asked warily.

Daniel raked a hand through his hair.

"No. I'm going to have to trust you to see it yourself." Which he hated. He hated that he couldn't give her more, he just didn't know.
Clair thought for a minute.

"I think I can do that."

Daniel exhaled in a rush. Suddenly feeling more comfortable.

"Thank you."