Home

Eventually the entirety of the situation hit both camps. Reyna and Frank split several groups of demigods up into fives. They would cover the west coast. While we cover, in groups of five, covered the east coast. We were sifting through the entire United States, with just some fragile hope that we would find him.

I wasn't allowed to go searching, no matter how much I tried to appeal to Chiron or Reyna. Apparently I should stay with Hazel. In some desperate hope that she would wake up. It had been two days since he left. She hadn't even twitched.

I began retreating into myself. People would start talking to me and I often found myself detaching. I found the world nearly colorless and it left a hollow pit in my stomach. My body felt heavy and I hated moving it around.

Jason would often talk to me. He missed Nico. He often said they were best friends. I envied him. His memories and his time with Nico.

"Will, he really likes you." Jason said to me quietly. His eyebrows turned upward and his glasses lifting with them.

"I really like him too." I told him. I wanted to resign from this conversation.

"Will, you need to come out of that shell. You used to be so comfortable with yourself. And now that you got all attached to Nico, you're just so... sad."

"Don't make it sound like that. It's not Nico's fault. He just wanted to help." I told him bitterly.

"It kind of is, though." Jason shrugged. I glared at him hard, and he blankly stared back. Finally I sighed.

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

-~-~-

After that I tried to disguise this lazy feeling in my heart. I smiled more and laughed. Sometimes with a spark of realization I'd discover that it was real. It made me look to the future.

I often checked on Hazel. Sometimes I would compare the two. Hazel and Nico. They looked so different. But then there would be a similarity. Like how Hazel's lips pouted a bit like Nico's.

I missed him so much.

I sat in the room, The sun shining in through the window. The white everything of the infirmary room seemed to glitter. I checked over Hazel's stats, the same, per usual. I washed her hair and right before I had a girl nurse wash her body she smiled.

Her lips turned upwards and her eyes crinkled. She smiled.

She smiled, She smiled, She smiled.

I screamed in delight. I took her hand quickly.

"Hazel? Hazel, it's me Will. Could you please squeeze my hand. Could you?" Her hand didn't move against mine, but her smile stayed. My heart fell a little in my chest. But it was progress.

I took out her chart and quickly wrote the experience down.

"Will?" A voice behind me said.

I mumbled a "one second" to them and kept writing. My fingers skimming the pages.

I turned around and looked up. I felt the air in me tighten. It had been two weeks since Nico left. Two weeks since we would on his cabin porch and talk. Two weeks since I had given him a secret smile. Two weeks since our hands brushed and our lips did too.

And now he leaned against the door jambs with his black sweatshirt tattered. His arm in shreds and his face sunken in. The dark hair plastered against his forehead from sweat. His eyes lit up towards me.

"Help" He cracked and I rushed forward. I felt my throat throb as I yelled out help. I felt my shirt being torn off my body as I wrapped it around his arm. I felt his blood, slick and warm between my fingers. I could see the muscle in his arm the deep cuts.