Chapter 13

"It was meant to be."

"No, baby.
Does it hurt?"

"I don't feel much."

"Good."

"Tell our baby to mess around. It's ok to have fun and be crazy.... Tell her I never wanted to leave her."

"I will."

"And tell Jules..."

"I'm here."

"Tell her to see... tell her to see."

-

Sometime in the night a nurse walks up to me. I'm wide awake still and I follow her to the room where Gus is. He lays cold and unmoving on a hospital bed, but I see his chest rise and fall slowly. As I walk to his bed and sit on the end I find I don't have any tears.

"Gus...." I whisper. "You're all I have left. We need each other, you and I. I loved Shawn too.... We can get through this together."

As I sit on the end of his bed in silence, Gus sleeps while the machines in the room beep and give off a steady hum. Looking out the window I see it's snowing again and I think back to when I would find beauty in that. Now, I wonder how I could have ever loved this cruel world. It's funny how you can feel so alone in a world full of people.
Thoughts of Shawn linger in my head as I fall asleep on the end of the hospital bed.

-

I wake up with the strange feeling that someone's watching me. I clutch my stomach and sit up. I look to the front of the bed to find Gus staring at me. I back up a little in fear. The dark circles under his eyes make me wonder how bad mine are, I've barely had any sleep in weeks. That can't be good for the baby, but I find myself not being able to care much.
Gus doesn't say anything so I clear my throat.

"Gus." I manage, my voice sounding small and weak. "How do you feel?"

"I'm fine." He says, not making eye contact with me.
"Good." I reply and it's quiet for awhile.

I jump a little when I hear the hospital door open, but feel relief when I see my partner Lassiter come in.

"Lassie!" I exclaim and he pulls me into a hug. I don't let go and he strokes my hair.

"Hey, O'hara." He says says and breaks the hug.
He then talks to Gus for awhile.

"Gus, Marlowe and I are bringing you to move in with us for a little while. Okay?" He asks him.

"Okay," I hear him say and I feel a little relief in my gut. Gus will be safe.

Lassiter says goodbye and leaves. I feel now is a good time for me to do the same.
I lean down to give Gus a hug but all of a sudden he kisses me and I freeze up. I quickly pull away and stumble back. My mouth falls open in shock and I quickly turn away from him.

I can't see as I quickly exit the room, tears in my eyes, and drive home. My heart filled with emotions.

Hey everyone! Sorry again for the delay. I was reading back on my story and realized how dramatic I was omg 😂 But hope you enjoyed this chapter :)