Chapter 12

2/24/17

This is not happening again.

But, my worst fears become reality as we pull up to the hospital.

My mind spins.

Why would he do this?

Was he really that far off?

Why didn't I see it?

"They're still trying to recover him." Lassiter says and sits with me in the waiting room. "Look... I'm sorry, Ohara, but I've got a bucket full of cases back at the station. I'll come back later."

He gets up and walks away.

And so does my comfort.

I wonder what his last thoughts were. As he brought the razor down...

I suddenly break out in tears. I feel my baby kick as if she can feel what I'm feeling.

"Please." I sob between my teeth.

"My husband is in there too." I here a soft voice behind me. I flip around to see a old woman in a wheelchair. She's wrapped in blankets and has a purple scarf wrapped around her head. She wears green mittens.

"He slipped on ice.... Had a conclusion." Shee pauses. "Very critical condition." And then tears start falling from her brown eyes.

And my heart skips a beat.

We both sit in that waiting room, our sniffles and tears are the only things heard.

The silence is deadly and I suddenly start to pray.

Oh god, let him live. Please. If you do, I'll go to church every Sunday and Wednesday and never skip. I'll pray every moment of everyday. I'll do anything. Please let him live. I need him. Oh please, god. I'll become a vegetarian. Let me die, just as long as he lives. Oh god, I'll do anything I swear! Please.

And as the seconds turn to minutes, the minutes turn to hours, and the hours stab me.

As I pray I know I don't deserve this.

I know that the old woman desperately needs her husband.

But still, I can't help but wonder who's prayers will be answered tonight.

Mine or hers?