Chapter 5

Inspiration for this chapter goes to the movie "Signs". A lot of the dialogue is from the movie too. It's one of my favorite movies, so if you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?

-

11/28/16

I drop the phone. It beeps as it hangs over the side of the end table.

Everything becomes blurry and bends over. I grab onto the couch so I don't fall over.

I try and shake my brain out of it.

Shawn.

Car crash.

Come right away.

-

I walk to the door, trying to keep calm.

Everything will be ok.

I know it.

I grab my coat off of the hanger and slowly putting it on.

I touch my belly.

"Daddy is going to be fine." I assure my baby. But I'm really reassuring myself.

-

I stop my car when I see police cars and flashing red and blue lights everywhere. I get out and shut the door.

In the middle of the road is a male police officer waiting for me.

I hug my jacket close to me and walk up to him.

When I reach him I recognize him as an officer I used to work with.

I can tell he recognizes me too, because he doesn't ask me who I am. He just starts talking.

"An ice truck slipped off the road and hit Shawn and then a tree... And he is.... He's pinned between the two." He says. His eyes are serious, but full of sadness.

"What does that mean?" I ask looking at my feet.

"The truck has severed most of his lower half." He says and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"What did you say?" I say and pull away from him. He sighs and crosses his arms.

"He won't be saved. His body is pinned in such a way that it's alive when it shouldn't be....And the truck is holding him together. He says he doesn't feel much and he's talking almost like normal. Now we didn't pull the truck out because we wanted you to come down here and be with him as long as he's awake.... And it won't be very long. Now, O'hara, do you understand what I've told you?" He says the whole thing slowly and hard.

I start to shake. Hard. And everything starts to blur.

"This is the last time I will talk to my husband?" I say, my voice quivering now.

"Yes it is." He says nodding his head. I dig my nails into my at to keep from doing something I'll regret.

It's not the officers fault.

I walk past him towards the smashed truck.

Sitting on the ground by an ambulance is an Indian looking man. There is three officers standing above him.

He looks over at me and something about him makes me stop.

I don't know who he is or what he's doing here, but he looks at me and doesn't say anything.

His eyes.

They are filled with an emotion I've never seen before.

I can't help wondering why he's here.

Mixed with sadness, guilt, hurting, and torture.

It makes my heart stop beating and my blood turn cold.

I hold back a sob and turn away.

-

I reach the truck and see Shawn.

He has a bit of dirt on his face. The upper half of his body is rested on a cushion.

He still has his jacket on.

I approach him and kneel next to him.

"Hi sweetie." He says as he sees me.

"Hi baby." I reply back taking his hand.

"How was the appointment?" He asks in a hoarse voice.

"It's a girl." I say as tears escape my eyes. He smiles and nods.

Suddenly he looks me right in the eyes and I can tell what he's about to say has meaning.

"It was meant to be." He says slowly and squeezes my hand lightly. I have to look away as a sob escapes me. I look up to the sky and purse my lips, shaking my head.

Cursing god.

Cursing everyone.

I turn back towards him and shake my head no.

"No, baby." I say quietly as I try not to sob in front of him. I take a deep breath.

"Does it hurt?" I ask him.

"I don't feel much." He says and a tear escapes him.

"Good." I say and nod my head.

"Tell our baby to mess around. It's ok to have fun ad be crazy.... Tell her I never wanted to leave her." He says and his voice quivers.

"I will." I say back as another sob escapes me.

"And tell Jules," He starts and I can see the light leaving his eyes.

"I'm here." I reassure him and smile. I can taste my salty tears.

"Tell her to see... tell her to see." He says.

I don't say anything, but just look at him.

"And tell Gus... swing away." Shawn whispers and all I can do is watch as the light leaves his eyes.