Chapter 10

Chapter 10

 "Evangeline."

I can't tell if the greeting is cold or just formal, either way there's no warmth in the way he speaks to me. Of course manners get the best of my father who stands when as he greets me and doesn't sit back down until I am already seated.

He had his assistant leave a message for me that I was to meet him for dinner tonight. I hadn't actually heard from him before earlier today. Actually, I haven't heard from him since I was in the hospital, other than a message from his assistant updating me of when he'd be home. I'm not even sure he had her do it. My guess would be that she keeps me in the loop on her own.

"I didn't know you were home."

"I got in this morning," he answers curtly.

It's not that he's upset, or even as cold as he sounds. He's just so completely lost when it comes to me. He doesn't even begin to know how to talk with me and I'm just a bunch of memories that are painful for him. If I wasn't sure that he loved me – somewhere deep down inside – there is no way that I would be counting down the hours with dread until I head over to Garret's tonight. If I wasn't sure that somewhere underneath the cold exterior he loved me, I wouldn't give two craps about ruining him and saving myself.

The waiter arrives breaking the awkward tension between us and quickly takes our orders. For a moment my father is smiling and making short conversation and I see the man I think he used to be. The man he still is around so many people... just not me. For having as much money as he does, he is never rude to staff that helps him. He is a firm believer that a well-treated, well-paid staff is a loyal one and for the most part, that's true. Stories never leak to the tabloids or newspapers about my father from the housekeeper or kitchen staff. His assistants never quit and write up terrible articles on their experience working for him.

But he's still screwed up in more way than one. And I am one of two people who know just how badly he's messed up. The other holds it over me for... well, for whatever the hell he wants.

The moment the waiter leaves my father turns his attention back to me. The warm smile is gone.

"Have you—" he clears his throat, "Have you been speaking with someone?"

My brow furrows. "Speaking with someone?"

He clears his throat again. "Regarding your accident."

I almost laugh. My accident? Leave it to dear ol' dad to downplay something like that. I want to correct him and tell him it wasn't an accident. I want him to acknowledge it. But for him to have brought it up means that it's been weighing on his thoughts. He's not completely brushed it under the rug like I expected from him. So, it's hard for him to acknowledge that it wasn't an accident... he cares enough to ask.

"I... haven't."

To be honest, I assumed he wouldn't want me to. Risk of something leaking to the public and making it look like he can't control his own daughter...

"Make the appointment, Evangeline. I imagine you'll find someone who can be discreet."

I'm in shock. I would have never expected that he'd bring up anything along these lines. Speechless, I nod.

"I take it school is going well?"

"I'm certain Kelly keeps you well-informed on my academic progress."

It was probably not something I should have said out loud. It's not like us to be honest. Usually we pretend.

His brow draws together and his lips form a hard line as he looks for something to say. He's not all that upset with my blunt statement, just confused that I've stopped playing the game. Besides, it would take real, palpable emotion to be upset.