Chapter 27

It was like something out of an episode of Law & Order as we pulled through the gate to the residence. It wasn't the half a dozen cop cars, all with their light flashing, or the ambulance parked a safe distance away that had my eyes wide with shock. It was the two fire trucks pulled up in the circle drive that made my heart feel like it was going to fall out of my ass. If it hadn't been for all the lights from all the emergency vehicles, I wouldn't have been able to see the smoke still bellowing out of windows and doors or the way the front decorative shutters and siding were charred.

I could hear Tyler speaking, saying something though I couldn't make out any of it. My ears were just ringing, or silent. I don't know I couldn't hear anything but my heart pounding and my heavy breath. How was I breathing so hard without getting any air?

The car hadn't come to a complete stop before I threw open the door and raced up the walkway. I was intercepted by an officer whole blocked my path to the house.

"You can't go in there ma'am."

"That's my house," I said not recognizing my own voice, it was so high pitched and distressed that I sounded like a lunatic. "That's my house!" I yelled again, trying to push past the officer. The officer trapped me, his hands holding firmly on my shoulders. I fought against him and the pitying, sad look in his eyes, ignoring his attempts to reason with me.

"Evie," Tyler's voice somehow got through to me.

I turned around to face him, the cop letting me go.

"He burned it," I said because it was all I could say.

"I know," he said. Closing the distance between us, Tyler took me into his arms. I buried my head into his chest and his hand ran through my hair and down my back. "Let's find someone to talk to, yeah?" I pulled away from him, still tucked safely into his side, but facing forward so that I could be a part of the conversation.

"There were two women in a safe room upstairs?" Tyler asked the officer that had been blocking my way in. His voice was thick, like he wasn't sure he wanted to hear the answer.

"They're both fine from the looks of it," the officer said. "Being checked out by paramedics now. I'll walk you over."

"My dad," I said and the officer's eyes flashed to mine. "He was injured probably. I don't know if he was int he living room or hall or where, but he was in there..."

"I'm sorry," the officer said. My fingers curled into fists, the nails digging into my skin. Tyler's hold on my tightened. "You're Evangeline Dupree?"

"Yeah," my voice was barely audible.

"Your father was pronounced dead at the scene." The officer reached out and patted my shoulder with awkward compassion. "I'm very sorry for your loss."

"H-how?" I asked.

"Evie," Tyler said. "I don't think—"

"Please," I asked.

"It's too early to tell cause of death. The burns were severe though," the officer explained. He paused for long moment. "I can take you to the others," he said.

Numbly I nodded and Tyler and I followed the officer toward the ambulance.

My father was dead. I didn't begin to know how to feel about that. I never wanted him dead.

I hadn't been close to him, it wasn't like I lost a part of me or a huge part of my life. But he was my dad. And for the first time in a decade, he had been trying to act like it. I didn't know if that would last forever, I didn't know if we could ever be anything other than what we were. Now I never would.