Chapter 7

Chapter 7

            I skip down the stairs already running late. I told Talon I would be over to pick her up almost an hour ago. But a half hour nap turned in to a two-hour nap. It happens. So when my phone rings as I’m leaving the house, I answer without bothering to check who’s calling, assuming it’s Talon.

            “Hey,” I say ready to dive into an apology.

            “Hey, baby,” a deep voice that does not belong to Talon purrs into the phone.

            “What do you want?” I snap. Unable to stand still and unwilling to be any later to Talon’s house I walk out to my car.

            Garret makes a disapproving clicking sound with his tongue into the phone. “I haven’t talked to you all week and this is how you greet me?” When I don’t answer, he chuckles into the phone. “I miss you,” he croons.

            I haven’t seen or spoken to him since last Thursday if I’m being honest I was kind of hoping he overdosed or got shot. I’d be just as happy if he simply found someone else to torture. But apparently that’s asking too much of whatever higher being may exist. I kind of put myself in the position I am though. I know that ultimately if it weren’t for my own bad decisions, I wouldn’t be where I am. Talking to who I am.

            “I’m busy right now,” I tell him.

            “Ev, baby, you’re never too busy for me.” His voice is still falsely calm, but I can tell he’s losing his patience with me quickly. When I refuse again, he starts threatening me with things that don’t need to get out. Things that he should have never known to begin with. But like I said, I put myself here. I fucked up.

            “Garret,” I plead quietly sitting in my car. Tears prick at the corner of my eyes because I’m not sure I can handle this. “Please, don’t do this.”

            “What is so important that you can’t make time to come over?” The patience is gone from his now aggressive voice. “You got another guy you need fuck?”

            “There’s no other guy,” I say.

            “Good, I’m on my way over.”

            The phone call ends abruptly. I stare at the phone for a second, willing myself not to cry. The consequences of leaving are probably greater than that of staying. He’ll be gone in an hour. Maybe less. Sucking in a breath, I get out of the car and head back into the cold, empty house. When I’m calm, and sure I’m not going to break, I dial Talon’s number.

            “Hey, you almost here?”

            “Hey, Talon… Look, I’m really sorry—“

            “You’re not coming are you?” She asks sounding so down that I think my heart breaks a little. Funny because I didn’t know there was anything left to break.

            “No, I’ll be there. It’s just. My dad got home a few days early and wants family time for a while. Can I catch up with you in like two hours? We probably can’t come here, but we can still hang out.”

            “Oh yeah,” she says more cheerful. “I understand. We’ll do movie night or something, just text me when you’re on your way.”

            “I will.”

            Hanging up the phone, I pace around the hallway waiting. Garret mustn’t have been joking when he said he was already on his way because I don’t have to wait long for the front door to fly open. It bangs against the wall, probably leaving a dent. But Garret doesn’t care about those sorts of things.