Nine

With Reyna in the lead, everyone felt somewhat safe and secure. The horses were oddly rough with their riders, which put Y/N on edge. She too felt something lurking in the woods, and if she felt it, that meant that everyone on the team felt it as well.

"Relax." She heard Nico whisper to her, his ride very close to her's, she worried they might collide.
"I'm trying," she said "It's just not that easy. I haven't been out much the last few months. It all seems so alien." She looked around.

There were several spots where a fire might've occurred, but was rapidly shut before it spread. The grass was dry, with a stink to it, and painted a strange color. She wondered who must've died there. Well, who were the people who died all around here.

The last time she'd been here, the camp was performing games, and the cabin that hunted the most monsters got the warm shower water for a month. The one who lost would join the harpies in dish-washing, exclusive lava edition.

It was all green and beautiful at the time. But that was when the monsters attacked as well. Y/N had guessed it was part of the game, and charged without a second thought, ready to earn that warm, hot water.
But soon, she realized that the monsters were coming in larger waves, and campers, her fellow colleagues, her family, were dying one after the other.
"Retreat!" Percy and Jason had called simultaneously.

They had formed a storm, and blew all the monsters away, buying enough time for everyone to make it back to camp safely-everyone that wasn't killed. They were the last ones to make it back, and they had both collapsed on their faces from the effort.

The camp preformed a ritual for the one hundred forty-two people that had passed away that day. Y/N remembered the precise number. She remembered all the names and godly parents, all the faces and the ages. All the laughs and smiles she had shared with every single one of them. She remembered it all, and it was too painful.

The stench of death was agonizing, but she endured it. Not for the team, but for herself. She was tired of crying, she didn't want to cry anymore. She was sick of it.

"Hold it." Reyna called firmly, lifting her hand up. Everyone stopped and looked around.
"What is it?" Asked Percy, not fond of the idea that they were facing trouble right off from the start.

"It stinks." Said Katie, pinching her nose.
"Yeah," Said Nico, "It's the strong odor of death-"
"No, it's more than that." Countered Percy.
"Quiet!"

They all jumped.

Reyna jumped off her horse and unsheathed her sword. As did Percy with Riptide and Nico with his Stygian Iron sword.
Y/N pulled out her dagger, still on her horse, and Katie rode behind her for cover.

They heard a glass-wrecking roar, and they shut their ears, "H-Hey I know this roar." Said Percy, as the Minotaur revealed himself.

Percy raised his arms and dropped them, exasperated, "You never seem to stay dead, do you? You're a stubborn pile of schist you know?"

Percy ran faster than the team's eyes could keep up, and jumped, as if he were going to hit a volleyball spike, but instead, extended the arm that held his sword and spun, swiftly slicing the monster in half and turning him to dust.

He stood up and flipped Anaklusmos in his hand, clicking his tongue and saying, "What would you do without me Reyna?" Smirking.
"It's not over yet," said Reyna walking past him, "The ground is still shaking."

Suddenly, the earth erupted, and the figure of a Gryphon. A monster with the body of a black panther, the legs and face of an eagle, and a pair of black wings. "Woahoho!" Called Nico, and laughed humorlessly, "You're a legendary Greek monster! I remembering finding you in my Mythomagic collection!"
"Nico this is not the time to joke!" Yelled Reyna, frustrated. And Y/N could clearly tell why.

There were war cries coming from all directions in the forest. The horses were getting unsteady and nervous. "This isn't good," said Percy, beads of sweat forming on his forehead, "The horses don't like it. They don't want to be here."
"You think we don't know that?!" Raged Reyna.

Out of nowhere, an Earthborn appeared before Y/N's ride, and it jumped, knocking her off. Katie screamed, and readied herself to get off her's as well.
"No!" Yelled Reyna, "Go back to camp and report this to Chiron! We need at least one of us to go back safely!"
"Take Y/N with you!" Decided Percy.
"No!" Argued Y/N, "I'm staying here! I'm fighting! I'm not going to stay in the shadow of my brother! I'm coming out! I'm staying! Katie, go without me!"

Without any other word, Katie galloped away on her horse, as fast as she could manage. "All we have to do now is keep these ugly bastards from following her." Y/N said.

" Y/N said