Ten

"How did we end up like this?" Nico mused.
"I don't have a clue." Said Y/N, staring into the dark space before them.

They were wandering through the forest, alone, at night, with no light, and the camp, anything but in sight. (A/N: _)

"How did we even get separated from them?!" Asked Nico, flailing his arms in the cool night air, exasperated.
"The Earthborn broke our formation." Muttered Y/N, almost to herself, not believing that they actually planned, and succeeded in doing that.
"Well, we need to get to camp anyway. It's too dangerous out here. Odds are, we won't even survive the night." Said Y/N.

Nico laughed and put his arm around her, "That's the spirit!" He yelled, joking of course, and pinching her cheek.
"Shh!" Y/N hissed, raising her finger to her lips, as if scolding a child, then slapped the nape of his neck, making him laugh.
"Easy there." He chuckled, "You don't wanna kill your only hope now do you?" He said, swirling his eyebrows and smirking at her.

"Neeks," she smiled, and yawned "Please. Take this seriously. We need a place to rest. It's probably well after curfew in camp, and I'm not used to staying up this late." She said rubbing her eyes.
"Again with the 'Neeks' thing."
"If you don't like it, I'll only use it more." She laughed, shutting her eyes, still on her feet and walking.
"You sure are tired aren't you?"
She opened one eye to look at him, and he seemed majestic under the light of the almost full-moon. But his face was painted with worry as well, and she realized it was for her. So she straightened her back and opened both eyes. "I'm fine, but I won't be fine if we keep up this pace. Either we climb up a tree, which I do not encourage by the way, or we stay up until tomorrow and sleep during the day, which I will not be able to do."
"So what? We keep on walking?"
"That, I won't be able to do as well," she pointed at her knee, "It hurts." She laughed nervously.

Nico just stared at her, and finally came to a conclusion. "Okay, you know what? C'mere." He signaled for her to get closer.

She obeyed but moved slowly, still not fully trusting him. He took her backpack off of her and tried to lay her comfortably against a tree. "Bend your leg." He ordered.
She did as she was told, a soft red hue spreading across her cheeks.

Nico unpacked his first-aid kit and went to work, as Y/N looked up at the moon. "The moon's beautiful tonight, huh?" She said, wanting to start a conversation.
The awkwardness was disturbing, and she wanted to get rid of it as soon as she could. She didn't know how to, though, but she felt that she and Nico would be staying a long time together, so she was going to have to take a risk or two.

"Where is this coming from?" Alas, Nico saw right through her intentions. It was like she was transparent to him, and that wasn't going to be a good thing. It would leave her defenseless against him. "I don't think that's such a bad thing is it?" He asked, looking up at her, and his dark obsidian eyes didn't seem so dark anymore.

Y/N gasped internally and beads of sweat formed on her temples, Shit! It's like he's reading my mind!

Nico laughed and doubled-over, clutching his stomach, with tears running down his eyes, "Stupid!" He teased "You're muttering these things out loud for Hades's sake!"

Y/N bit her lip. The situation should've been embarrassing, and, according to said 'tradition',
she wasn't supposed to be able to look him straight in the eyes, but she could, and she laughed along with him.

"I haven't felt like this in a long time." Nico said, finally tying the new bandage around her knee and settling down next to her. "Thank you."

Y/N turned herself around to face him. She took his hands in hers, her red cheeks the color of a fire, as were his. She questioned these actions, but was too caught up in the moment to mind paying attention to them.

She didn't know what to say, what to do, and neither did he, so they stayed quiet for a moment that seemed like an eternity, appreciating the other's presence.

A soft breeze of wind blew between them, which lifted Nico's hair away from his face and danced around Y/N's braid, pushing the fallen bangs backward, allowing them to examine the other's features clearly.

Nico had never realized how pretty she was before. He was too busy teasing her or making fun of her to ever even slightly notice. "You're pretty."
Y/N wondered if she was turning deaf. It was the second time she heard him say that and she wanted to make sure she had heard it right, "What?" She smiled.
"You're beautiful." He corrected.

"N-Nico?"
"Shh." He silenced her, and put his finger on her soft but dry lips, which only made his urge to kiss her stronger.

He slowly leaned in, very slowly to realize that she wasn't holding back either. They closed their eyes, their lips barely touching. "You're beautiful," he repeated, and pushed himself forward, not harshly, not lightly, just right for the perfect 'first' kiss. He captured her lips, and they were in sync and perfect fit.

However, he pulled back almost immediately, wanting to confirm her acceptance. She was giggling uncontrollably, her eyes glinting in the moonlight. He chuckled softly as well, "Can I do that again? Longer this time?"
She just nodded and closed her eyes, prepared, and intertwined her fingers with his.

Thus, it was the start of a new and blooming connection.