Exorcists

The two priests who eventually took on her case were, collectively, referred to Anneliese Michel by over 60 authorized exorcists throughout the entire country of Poland. Time after time, each of them would tell one priest or the other that they should stop what they were doing, and take a trip out to Germany so that they could talk with the Michel's. Both men were highly intelligent, one being a theologian, yet they were ridiculed and singled out by their peers, other theologians who disagreed with the legitimate presence of evil. It was regarded as a "taboo" topic, and in fact most men of the cloth today regard evil as an archaic, ancient train of thought, and prefer to think of evil as more of a metaphor, and not an actual, individual presence. Many people who work in the field of possessions and exorcisms regard these people as complete hypocrites, and quite literally as heretics because by their constant professing of their disbelief, they are blatantly going against the direct teachings of Jesus Christ, the central figure of Christianity, which most of these men claim to have dedicated their life to.  

  Father Ernst Alt, assistant exorcist to Anneliese Michel during these events, claims that Anneliese Michel rarely, if ever, spoke about herself. She was the type of person who liked and enjoyed helping others, constantly displaying compassion and empathy for her fellow person. Often times, when there were familial disputes, Anneliese would take the side of her younger sisters instead of her parents, because she liked to defend those who had trouble defending themselves.