Exorcism

And finally, after all of the doctors had given their diagnosis and professional opinions, Father Renz decided to perform a "trial" exorcism, which may, as it sounds, be performed as a 'test; or a 'diagnostic' event. 

In the work An Exorcist Tells His Story by Father Gabriele Amorth, the former Chief Exorcist for the Vatican, Ignatius Press of San Francisco

With these "patients", it is profitable to use a euphemistic language. Therefore, we always call the exorcisms "blessings". The presence of the evil one, once it is ascertained, is referred to "negativity". It is also advantageous that the prayers be in Latin. All this is to avoid using words that alarm and thus obtain the opposite of what is desired. There are people who have the fixation of being possessed; in these cases, we can be almost certain they are not. To someone in a confused state of mind, the fact of receiving an exorcism may become proof positive of possession, and nobody will ever be able to convince them him differently. When I still do not know the person well, I insist on saying that I am blessing him, even if I am performing an exorcism; at times, I simply give The Ritual's blessing for the sick. 

both the medication issue AND "trial" exorcism/blessings have been explained by a man, Father Gabriele Amorth, who claims to have performed over 30,000 exorcisms in his career, 30+ years of which were exclusively as an exorcist for Rome.

During the above mentioned "trial" exorcism/blessing", this is where it really hit the fan. As a test, perhaps to prove it to himself, even, Father Renz gave a mental command, i.e. a command that he only thought but did not say, to the demons in his presence. He Thought the command "Withdraw from her! Say who you are!".

At that particular moment, Annaliese quite literally went berserk. The demonic entity inside her began to make themselves known in startling succession. In that moment, the priest knew for certain that an epileptic person or a crazy person simply wouldn't be able to react that way, in particular, read the thoughts of another person. At this moment, Anneliese tore the rosary from Father Renz and destroyed it. This made my blood run cold when I read this, because if there is one thing that is absolutely sacred in cases of demonic possession, it is the rosary. This religious artifact is never touched – unless the thing possessing is extremely powerful.