Chapter 6| Slave Labor

We were in my room, my head on his shoulders crying my eyes out. He rubbed gentle circles up and down my back. "It's okay, it will be okay," he kept saying but it wasn't okay. Tomorrow my family would know I like boys and my dad would shoot me. I would be dead by this time tomorrow.

"Kenny," I sobbed, "Spend the night."

"Okay," he whispered. He stretched up and pulled the light switch and we were shrouded in darkness. I laid down and faced out the window, gazing at the full moon. He snuggled up next to me and threw his arm around me. Kenny was basically my gay best friend now. Except he wasn't gay. I enjoyed his warmth. I listened to his gentle breathing and I eventually fell asleep.

The next morning, I sat in the cafeteria eating a sausage biscuit sandwich. I didn't normally eat school food anymore because it was toxic and made out of plastic but if today was my last day on Earth, I might as well treat myself. I spaced out and I didn't even notice Stan take a seat opposite of me.

"Hi, Kyle," he said. I jumped, just now realizing he was there.

"Oh! Hey Stan."

"You okay?"

"I'm fine," I said, hanging my head down. I wanted to tell him so bad. I wanted him to know how I felt about him but I was scared. I didn't want to die with Stan hating me.

"If you're upset about what I said yesterday...I didn't mean to say it...like that," he said awkwardly. I looked up at him. He was twiddling his fingers.

"Don't worry about..."

"No! I'm worried that I hurt your feelings. It came out too harsh."

"But it was the truth, wasn't it?"

"...sort of. It's hard to explain, Kyle. I can't see the good in life. I look around this cafeteria and I see a bunch of feces walking around and eating shit. I play my video games and I see shit. I kiss Wendy and I see shit. I talk to you...and I see shit."

Gee, was this suppose to be an apology? "Stan..."

"I don't know how to get better, Kyle! I've been seeing Mr.Mackey and a therapist for years but I can't seem to find a way out. I'm depressed, Kyle," he said. I could see his eyes watering. He was trying to hold back his tears. This had been the most open he had been about his depression since the Cartman Burger incident.

"Stan, I know. It's okay. We can work through this."

He shook his head, "I wish it was that simple. I decided to give up drugs and drinking for a little bit. Maybe facing the illusion head on will help me find a way to get better."

"Wait, you're sober?"

"Yeah. That's why everything is so bad today," he said while covering his face. I got up and walked to his side of the table and I threw my arms around him in an awkward hug. He placed his hand on my wrist in response.

"I'm so proud of you, Stan. I'll do everything I can to help you get better," I said.

"Thanks..." he said. We spent the rest of the breakfast period talking about his upcoming party. The bell rang and we went to our first class together. I sat at my desk and I waited nervously. Then Cartman strolled in. I instantly tensed up. I shot him daggers but he didn't acknowledge me. He just merrily took his seat.

And he was like this the whole day. I know Kenny said he was going to tell my parents but I didn't believe for an instant that he wasn't going to tell everyone at this school. Or at the very least Stan. But he remained quiet. He never talked to me the whole day. Not even a single Jew joke. And this worried me to death.