chapter 7

-------------------------------

It was raining so hard she could barely see the road, which added to her frustration. It had been a long day, full of arguing with her absolutely ridiculous twin brother. She had the beginning of a headache and wanted to scream.

What she really wanted was to just lie down with Killian. It scared her to realize how much she missed him when he wasn't around and how much she enjoyed spending time with him. She couldn't ever remember feeling this way about anything in her life.

Driving around her apartment building she did a double take; was that Killian standing in the rain? She rushed to get her car parked and walked out into the storm, looking for him. "What are you doing?" she asked when she found him pacing by the front door of the building.

"Emma," Killian said, surprised. He had obviously been standing there for a while; his clothes were soaked through.

"Killian, what are you doing out here? It's pouring! Come in!"

When she took his hand and walked toward the entrance of the building he pulled back. "What are we doing?"

Emma looked at him, blinking against the rain. "What?"

"I don't know anything about you, Emma."

Emma shook her head. "You do," she told him. "You know everything that matters."

"The other stuff matters to me," Killian told her. "All of it matters to me."

"Killian, really? We need to get inside."

"Would you listen to me?" he asked, frustrated. "Just listen to me."

Emma threw her hands in the air, her wet hair already plastered to her face and neck. "Fine, Killian. Fine. I'm listening."

"I really like you," he told her. "I know it sounds crazy because it's only been a few weeks, but I think I might even love you." Emma gasped, her eyes searching his face. "But I can't keep pretending like you had no life before me. I'm sick of wondering what you're not telling me. I want to know you, really know you. I don't want to know only what you think I should know. I want to be a real part of your life."

"Where is this coming from?" Emma asked him.

"I had a friend do some research on Neal," Killian told her.

"Killian..." she said, shaking her head.  "I asked you not to."

"Yeah, well, I did."

"And?" she asked. "Did you find what you were looking for?"

"I didn't even get to his information," Killian told her. "The second page was your mug shot."

Emma crossed her arms, nodding. "So that's why you're standing in the rain? Because you saw that I'd been arrested?" Killian shrugged. "Is it that big of a deal?"

"I don't know," Killian told her. "Is it? You've never mentioned it."

"What do you want me to do, Killian? Should I have mentioned it when we first met? Hey, by the way, I've been arrested?"

"It's been weeks, Emma. You've had plenty of time to mention it."

"And what if I had mentioned it and you decided that was too much? You had already seen so many bad parts of my life, but you were still here. What if that was the one thing that tipped the scales, made me not worth it?"

"So you're keeping parts of your life from me because you think they'll make me leave?"

"I don't know," Emma said, throwing her hands in the air. "Maybe." She sighed. "Yes."