Phantom Enchanting

"We are where I live," Eric said as he put two ballet-styled shoes on the floor by Lili's feet. "Under the streets of Paris. I do not advise you try to escape these tunnels. You will get lost and then you will die."

      Lili slipped on the shoes, glancing at the masked man's face. She wondered why he wore the mask. Maybe she didn't want her to know who he was. Was he famous? Would she recognize him? She looked at the uncovered side of his face, at his perfectly clean-shaven face and dark brown eyes. His mask had soft gentle curved over his cheek and eyebrow bones. 

      He was very attractive. And he had seen her without cloths- touched her without cloths. And now he's trapped her down here so that she cannot leave without his help. He could be just a kind gentleman who wanted to get her clean and give her a place to stay. 

      She was going to focus on that, not the alternative. 

      Lili finished tying the ribbons on her shoes while Erik watched, smiling softly. "What do we do now?" Lili asked, running the tips of her finger over her swollen lips and cheek. They felt hotter than the rest of her body and were probably pink against her fair skin.

      Erik stood up. "I cannot allow you to leave until you are healed. It's not proper for a lady to be treated as you were. And I'm sorry that you were treated like that. That man did not deserve to live." Erik's face went dark as he turned away from the candle light to walk back into the other room. 

      Lili stood up to follow him back into the open room with the organ and its tall brass pipes. The shoes protected her from the cold stone floor. The hard soles were stiff under foot as Lili tried to go onto her tiptoes. It was easier than when she was a child, trying to dance like a ballerina round her house. She twirled on one toe, giggling as she glided easily through the air before losing her balance and standing flat again. 

      Erik watcher her by the door, gracefully spinning like the ballerinas he loved to watch. She had a natural talent for it. He could see her dancing to his sweet music, the one thing in the world that could be all emotions, tell all stories.

      "That was the only pair of shoes I had here. If you want others, I can go purchase you some later." Lili looked at Erik with big doe eyes. She shook her head, her cheeks blushing pink.

      "I favour these."

      Lili followed Erik into the next room, bouncing her step slightly, testing the slippers' strength. "So what do down here all day? Does anyone else live here with you?"

      Erik sat down on the soft bench in front of a piano. The shelf next to him was littered haphazardly with large white sheets of music, handwritten in pen ink on blank staffs. 

      "I write music, mademoiselle." 

     Lili sat down on the bench next to him, her hands playing with a lace ruffle on the white nightgown. Her shoulders were bare as the loose straps fell down her shoulders. Erik, frozen for a second as his eyes watched the straps, snapped to life and reached forward to open a book of music and turn it to a page. 

      "To answer your second question, I am the sole occupant of this cave, darling." 

      "Why do you?" Lili asked, glancing at his face. She sat on his left side, his white mask not visible from where she sat. He looked like a normal man. 

      Erik ran his fingers across the low side of the keys, creating a low, frightening melody. It caused Lili to smile. It was a hauntingly beautiful tune. It lasted only five seconds, but already, she wanted to hear more. "Live in a cave? That is a story for a rainy day."

      Erik glanced at Lili out of the corner of his eye, smiling softly. He started to play the tune fully, his fingers gliding over the white ivory keys. Steam rose from the organ pipes as his fingers hit the notes. He saw Lili close her eyes, gripping the lace in her fists as the music took control of her body. Enchanted, her body swayed, her head falling to the side.

      Her supple skin, exposed to the air, glowed in a whiter light, and Erik knew he had to keep her, this young woman whose very soul was controlled by music, just as his had always been.