Phantom Observer

"Here's the deal, Miss Lili. None of the others can know you come with the Phantom." 

      Lili's eyes scrunched as the lady finally let go of her hand and slowed down, probably thinking they were far enough away from whatever they were running from. "Phantom? Do you mean Erik?" 

      She shot her a frightening glance. "Do not speak of it! Shh. You are a young woman from the outskirts of Paris and came here to be a dancer. That is all. You will not tell people more than that. After classes, you will find me or I will find you and I will take you back to him as he has instructed, this you must also keep a secret." 

      "But why, Erik's not-" 

      "I said don't speak of it!" The lady grabbed her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes, letting her words stab deep into her mind. "Your Erik is the Opera Ghost, and only we know about it, so you cannot speak of it- ever!" 

      ***

      The Shadow watched from high above at the young women and men below on the stage. Lili pirouetted under the scrutiny of Madame Giry and the older students. They noted that she showed promise, but still had much to learn. Madame Giry walked around her students, tapping different body parts that needed to be lifted higher or pulled tighter with a long staff. 

      The Shadow moved silently in the rafters and complicated overhanging pathways through the layers of curtains and back drops. He melted into the dark as a man clambered by, carrying a long plank of wood on his back. 

      Hours passes like this, seemingly every time Lili moved, her Shadow moved with her, matching her. He smiled every time she got something correct without having to be told. Her body just knew what to do. 

      When they took a break for supper, Lili found herself being accosted my Madame Giry. She guided her to a small empty room down a long hallway with many twists and turns and smiled at her tightly. "I see what he sees in you. Come back tomorrow."

      She started to walk away from Lili and Lili followed, thinking that' what she was supposed to do. Madam Giry held up a hand. "Stay here, child." 

      Lili's eyebrows pulled together and her lips pursed. From the limited light, she could see that the room was small, painted theater blue, and there were multiple doors and curtains leading to God knows where. There were two torches next to the doorway Madame Giry disappeared into, but the entire other side of the room was pitch black. 

      Lili jumped in fright when a hand touched her shoulder. She spun around, about to yelp as his hand came down over her face for a moment, before she saw who it was and relaxed, giving off an innocent young smile. "Hello, Erik." 

      He offered his arm to her asking, "How was your first day?" 

      He led her down a set of stairs while she began explaining about her day. He smirked beneath his white mask at the childlike woman as she buzzed about dancing and the other students, not even looking at where they were going. Erik stopped them, Lili still babbling about her day and Erik beginning to regret asking about it, when they came to the edge of the underground tunnel system. He didn't want Lili to see that she was once again walking into a dark, spider-webbed tunnel, so he drew his red handkerchief and tied it around her eyes. 

      She continued to talk the whole time, Erik starting to get a headache. Accustomed to the accompaniment of either music or silence, this chattering was irritating his mind and chasing away his thoughts.

      As soon as he pulled the small boat up onto the dock, he half dragged the girl across the room to a cabinet. "Can I take this off now, Erik?" she asked, starting to fiddle with the cloth around her eyes.

      "I don't care," he said, opining a cabinet and pulling out a glass bottle of what looked like perfume. She was already babbling about something else. He sprayed some on the handkerchief after he took it from her and pressed it to her mouth and nose. She began to thrash, holding on to his arms and struggling to breathe. On her face, a look of betrayel as she begged him with her eyes. 

      Erik held her until she stilled, breathing deeply. Her eyes closed. He sighed out his frustrations as he carried the light girl over to her bed in the next chamber. Looking down at the girl sleeping in peaceful silence, Erik thought about what he had just done. She likely wouldn't remember much of what happened, and he should feel guilty. 

      After everything he had done in his life, putting a girl to sleep was a pale comparison to that which he had done to people before. And they did much less than talking to deserve their punishments. 

      "Sleep well, little one." 

      Erik seemed to fade into the shadows of the until room.