Phantom Rules

Erik walked Lili down stone hallways covered in moisture and cobwebs and cracking mortar. "Do not leave the opera house for any reason. If you do, it will be hard to find you again," he said, brushing Lili's soft hand with his thumb.

   "Opera house?"

   "Opera Populaire. I am sending you to someone who can teach you. Your talent is hers now."

   "Oh," Lili felt his hand on hers, caressing it. She knew she had noting to worry over.

      "If something goes wrong, I will find you. You can trust me on that." He guided her down long hallways, through doors and rooms, and up more stairs of many kinds, knowing exactly where he was going. His candle burned low in his left hand, the wick cut short to ensure that there was only a small amount of fire and light. 

      "We are almost there." In front of them, Erik watched a portion of wall slide to the side, allowing them to move into the total darkness. Spider webs fluttered from the movement and the ever-present draft. Two rats squeaked around a dead one, nudging it with their noses.

      "What's that sound?" Lili asked, hearing a sound like a stone crumbling. "Did we break something?" She looked at where she thought Erik's face was, where his warm voice came from. 

      "No, we did not break anything. You'll be hearing that sound every time I bring you here. We have arrived." He led Lili into the dark round room. In the tiny light of the candle, the walls of the room could not be seen. Only a small circle of the dust-covered floor. 

      "You can remove the blindfold now, sweet Lili." He smiled softly as her small hands pulled at the tie at the back of her head impatiently. As she looked around, goosebumps rose all over her body. The chilling darkness was closing in on her. Erik watched her move closer to him. 

      He took her hand again and took her to a wide doorway in the wall. She jumped when a shadowed figure moved out of the darkness, her features sharp and shadowy. Erik held her gently to his chest. Her head hid in his shirt as she shivered in fright. 

      "Madame." Erik greeted stiffly. He gently pulled Lili off him, his eyes telling her it was okay as he looked into hers. She looked at his white mask and how it almost glowed in the low light. His right eye showed through the hole in his white mask just as darkly as the other one. 

      "I'll see you later tonight, sweet Lili." Erik turned Lili by her shoulders to greet Madame Giry, disappearing into the darkness as soon as she turned her back. Lili looked at the intimidating woman, feeling very small. She was wearing a black dress that was strait and plain at the top, but loose and open on the bottom with folds and black ruffled fabric. Lili assumed that the looseness was because she was a master ballerina and probably needed the leg room. 

      "Come along child," the woman grabbed at her sleeve and tugged her along. Lili glanced back at Erik and found the black space behind her empty. "We do not want to stay here any longer," the woman urged under her breath.