Chapter 10__The Turning Point

I wasn't in my room, for a change. I was in the living room, about ready to go to school, my bag over my shoulder and Damon standing at the window when Stefan walked in and asked Damon, "So, any idea of where you'll go?"

"I don't know," Damon answered. "London, maybe. See some friends."

"You don't have any friends, Damon."

"You're right, Stefan. I only have you. Since Nikki hates me." I nodded very expressively. "Not that I care about that." I rolled my eyes and he turned toward Stefan. "So . . . Where are we going?"

"'We' are not going anywhere," Stefan said. "I'm gonna live my life as far away from you as possible."

"Bur we're a team. We could travel the world together." Damon walked closer to Stefan. "We could try out for The Amazing Race."

"Mm. That's funny. Seriously, where are you going? Because we're not staying in this town."

"As long as it's far away from here, I'm cool with it," I said finally, amd they looked at me. I tilted my head. "I mean, I feel a little bad about Stefan . . . "

"You never show me any love," Damon said teasingly, shaking his head.

I just looked back at him. "You won't get any love from me."

"Aren't you supposed to be in school?" Damon asked weirdly, squinting his eyes at my comment.

"I'm running late." I moved my arms out in a shrug. "So what? I don't care."

The door bell rang, and I looked at Damon and Stefan before I went to answer it, since it was technically my house. I had been the one who had lived here my whole life.

I opened the door and looked at Sheriff Forbes. "I'm here to see Damon."

"Uh, sure. Okay," I said, looking behind me as Damon stepped around, and I saw Stefan standimg behind us.

"Sheriff. What a surprise."

"Sorry to bother you," she said. "But we need to talk."

Damon nodded. "Come in."

I moved out of the way, Stefan and I going to the living room as Damon let Sheriff Forbes in and closed the door, then both going to the garden outside.

I sat on the couch opposite of Stefan, and he looked so concentrated on listening to them outside, I didn't say anything, knowing I looked confused as to why the sheriff would need Damon and go to measures like this, and what had Stefan listening so . . . Intently? Was that the word to use?

Finally, my curiousity and boredom and a slight case of frustration won over. "What's going on?"

Stefan held up a finger the same second that Sheriff Forbes and Damon walked into the house again, toward the door.

"Thank you for stopping by," Damon told her.

"Let me know what you come up with," she told him.

"Absolutely."

I gave Stefan a what-the-hell-is-goimg-on-with-them look as Damon shut the door.

Stefan didn't answer the frustrated look, and he wasn't even in front of me the next time I looked at him.

He had zoomed all the way up to Damon, pushing him against the door, neither noticing my surprised but funny looking look.

"What is wrong with you?" Stefan demanded Damon. "You killed somebody?"

I stood up from the couch the same time Damon pushed him away. "Get off of me. A, don't touch me." He started to walk around him, closer to me. "B, if I had, I wouldn't have been so obvious about it. And C," he turned to look back at Stefan, throwing me a glance, "there's another vampire in town."