Chapter 13__Children Of The Damned

Damon was still trying to.get Katherine out of the tomb. Stefan and Elena said that they would help him.

I, however, knew it was all lies.

Good. Damon didn't deserve to get what he wanted.

I was just worried about what he'd do when he figured out that he really didn't have anyone on his side.

He wasn't here, and Elena was getting ready for the day, so I could actually talk to Stefan. "What happens if Damon finds out you're lying to him?"

"He won't," Stefan said.

"But what if he does?"

Stefan let out a long sigh. "Kill people. Hate me. Usual Damon stuff." I nodded, not looking at him and he said, "Look, Nicola, you don't have to be involved in this."

"I wanna be," I said. "26 vampires who haven't fed in over 145 years, they're hungry, and there's a town that's responsible for getting them locked up at their disposal and every quenching thirst - I'm not gonna let them kill them all."

"It's not just that, though, is it?" Stefan asked.

I slowly shook my head. "My dad would've done something about this. I have to." I took in a breath, trying to drive away from the depressing moment. "Plus, Damon's the one that killed him. Doing anything to pay him back is worth while."

"Except . . . ?" Stefan asked.

"Except . . . .what if pissing him off will do more damage to this town than 26 vampires could do?"

"Nicola." I didn't say or do anything. "Hey." I finally looked up. "If there's anything I can promise you, it's that I will never let anyone hurt you. Ever. I swear."

I smiled a little, saying, "I'm not technically worried about dying. I just don't wanna follow through on the whole Salvatores-turn-vampires legacy crap."

Stefan smiled, looking down as Elena walked into the room. "We ready?"

We made it to her house. Yes, I was finally going somewhere besides school or the Grill. It had been forever though. Elena was going through her family's boxes, trying to find a Gilbert journal.

"Do you think Damon really believes us?" Elena asked. "That we're all trying to help him?"

"Not me," I said. "You two. He'd never trust me."

Stefab nodded in agreeance before saying, "I don't think Damon knows what to believe. Trust isn't something that comes naturally to him."

"You know, I really think that Damon believes that everything he's done, every move that he's made, he's done for love. It's twisted, but kind of sad."

"There are other ways to get what you want," Stefan said. "You don't have to kill people." Like my dad. "Damon has no regard for human life. He enjoys inflicting pain on others. For 145 years, every single time that I have let my guard down and let Damon back into my life, he's done something to make me regret that. I'm not gonna make that mistake again."

Elena had the same question I had had. "So what do you think will happen if the tomb gets opened and Damon gets Katherine back?"

"I think no matter what Damon promises, a lot of people will die." Elena sighed, picking up a picture from the box and Stefan stood up to look at it from behind her. "That's Johnathan Gilbert."

Elena opened a box that I couldn't see what was inside. "What's this?"

"What are you guys doing?" Elena's brother, Jeremy, asked as he walked in.