Chapter 9

Willow P.O.V.

“Momma!” I snap at my thoughts, staring at the child dumbfounded, the words seem so natural. Like that was always my name. It’s been a week since the other children have left and two days ago I started sleeping in the room with the children Lucas didn’t put up any fight and he gave me full reign on the children, they ate four meals a day and two snacks.  I had games and books order for the children and a large area had been put up so I could take the children outside, I hate the idea of a gate like a prison, they were treated like animals. At least they get sunlight. I had to agree with my mind. “Momma!” The little girl’s voice was near a wail, scooping her up quickly, I snuggle my face into her neck and she clings to my neck.

“What’s wrong sweetie” I say with so much softness it surprises even me, how tender I can become.

“A-alex I-is being mean and calling me names” she stutters slightly, pulling back I see her face tear streaked, walking her into a corner I sit her down.

“I’ll be right back.” Turning I scan the small group of children when I spot the almost white colored hair of Alex a nine year old. Walking up to him he hasn’t notice me yet, tapping on his shoulder lightly he turns and his eyes turn huge.

“The little wimp told” he mutters to himself. Grabbing his arm firmly but lightly I guide him to another corner to talk to him privately.

“Why did you call Kaylee names?” I ask simply, to the point.

“Because she’s a retard” he spits out with so much anger, I know this isn’t really about Kaylee.

“Whose been saying mean things to you?” I ask softly, his face shows shock, wondering how I even notice.

“Why do you care” he snaps

“Because I love you, and no body here should be treating anyone bad.” Especially not if they need to be a group so I can help them escape.

“You don’t love me! No one does, my own mother sold me! After she married one of – Them” he says the last word with so much vengeance, I can feel his emotions in me. Betrayal, anger, rage, sorrow, and no hope.

“I am not your mother, I am me and I do love you” I say softly, I try to never raise my voice with the children, I need there respect but I don’t need them afraid of me.

Yanking out of my grip, he just glares. “Even if you don’t accept that I do, you need to apologize to Kaylee and never, and I mean never call someone retarded, ever.” I stare right back into his eyes, finally he nods, sharply. I watch as he goes over to where I left Kaylee and I turn away, satisfied when I see them hug. That’s when I spot Lucas by the door, groaning I start towards him.

Why can’t he leave me alone for more than an hour!

I rage in my mind “What do you want?” I hiss

“Good to see you to sunshine” he snarls, this is how it was now. No politeness, than again he’s not human wouldn’t expect it from him. “Two maids will take your place for three days, I need your assistance.”

“Take my place?” I ask confused.

“The children” he rolls his eyes, like I’m an idiot.

“No” I state simply, glaring at him.

He just glares back “Before you go all tantrum, just for three days and if you do go into your – thing then I will sell all the children to worse homes” My heart beat picks up at his threat.

Not my children, not my children, my babies. My mind croons over and over.

“Fine” I say with defeat, he notices and smiles. Turning he begins to leave and I turn back to the children.

“What are you doing” Lucas voices comes to me harshly.

Head up, I don’t look back. “Saying bye to my children if you don’t mind – Sir” I say sarcastically. Without another word I rush back into the group, calling them over to me.

“Now listen children, I have to go for three days. Two other ladies are coming to watch you and care for you by MY rules” I make to raise my voice at the last part, knowing Lucas is listening.

“No” I hear multiple children cry and all the sudden I have bodies being thrown at me, I’m attacked by a thousands of arms, and I see tear streaked faces everywhere “Shh- shh- it’s only three days” my voice cracks on the last syllable.  Voice jumble together from the frantic children.

“Momma!”

“Don’t go”

“They’ll hurt us!”

“Please!”

“I knew you would leave” I make the last sentence out as Alex, squeezing my eyes tight to keep the tears from falling, I look around for Jacob and spot him on the outside of the group next to Alex. Looking just as sad, “Jacob” I say quietly, while telling the kids to behave. I hug him tightly “You be strong and you watch them” I stare intently into his eyes, they show a little emotion. This is what those monster did to him, no child should be like this.

“Yes ma’am” he says with a wary smile.

“And you” I turn to Alex and lunged at him before he can shove me away and wrap him in a fierce hug, whispering into his ear “I will be back, even if something happens. I will always come back” and with those words it’s like a dam breaks, throwing his arms around me, he hugs me tightly. With a last parting word to them all, I turn and walk towards Lucas signaling him I’m ready.