Nightmares

Pisces couldn't sleep. She looked at the clock.

2.58 a.m.

Pisces sighed and got up from her bed. She decided to go to the kitchen and drink some water.

Even though it had been a tiring day, she was unable to sleep. She had been restless ever since what had happened with Scorpio underwater. They had almost kissed. Pisces' mind started racing just thinking about it. She creeped out of her room and into the hallway.

Sagittarius and Virgo were sharing a bed room, while Aries and Cancer slept in the other master bedroom. Leo was sleeping outside on the veranda, while Libra was sleeping on the couch in the living room.

As she went down the hallway, she stopped besides Scorpio's room. She slowly opened the door and peeked inside. She saw Scorpio sleeping with his head under the covers.

Stop being a creepy weirdo, she told herself.

She kept the door slightly open and went into the kitchen. She drank some water, and started going back to her room. As she crept down the hallway, she started hearing soft moans.  Pisces' mind filled with fear. Creepy noises coming from a creepy, dark hallway in a cabin in the woods? This was straight out of her horror movies-induced nightmares.

Pisces realized the sound was coming out of Scorpio's room. She peeked her head inside and saw Scorpio, shaking and sweating, mumbling, "No. Please, don't. Don't hurt us". Pisces was now confused. He was having a nightmare. Scorpio started crying and thrashing, throwing away his blanket.

Pisces gasped, closed the door and ran to him. She was horrified at Scorpio's state. He was crying and shouting ,"No. Please don't hurt us, please. We won't do it again, I promise!".

Pisces quickly sat down besides him and put his head in her arms.

She started straddling him and whispered ,"Sh, sh, it's okay. I'm here. It's just a nightmare. It's okay honey, don't cry".

Scorpio woke up with a start, but kept crying, and grabbed Pisces' sleeve, "Pie, Pie, yo-you-you, I-I-I-uh-I", he sobbed in her arms, unable to finish his sentence.

Pisces kept straddling him,"It's okay. It's okay. It was just a nightmare. It's over now. I'm here with you, don't worry". Tears started forming in her eyes as, the strongest person she knew, unravelled in front of her as he sobbed in her arms.

They just sat there for a while, as Scorpio cried in Pisces' lap as she stroked his hair. She started humming a lullaby her mother used to sing when she was a little kid. After a sad day, her mother used to tuck her in and sing that song, making Pisces smile. As she kept humming the song, Scorpio's crying stopped and try just sat there, while Pisces hummed the lullaby.

A while later, she stopped humming and looked down at Scorpio. He turned his head and looked at her. A thousand words were exchanged between them without ever actually uttering them.

Scorpio sat up straight and wiped his face. He looked at Pisces and said,"Thank you". Pisces nodded. They sat there for a while, in silence.

Pisces finally asked, "What happened?". Scorpio looked at her and hesitated. He thought for a long time and finally spoke.

"I don't know if you remember, but I once told you that my father used to throw beer bottles at me and my mom. Well that's not all. He was very abusive. He used to beat me and mom for no reason at all. He used to throw whatever he could find. Pinch my mother, really hard, when she dropped a plate or  broke an egg", he lifted his pants and revealed a small, round scar on his thigh, and said, "Cigar burn". He covered it up and continued, "But still she stuck with him, because she loved him. I didn't. I hated him more than anything". He looked into Pisces' eyes.

Pisces saw his true self, for the first time.

He smiled a little and continued, "That started far back. As long ago as I remember. Everyday, I used to brace for his new form of torture". He paused for a minute, as Pisces took his hand. A small tear streaked down her cheek as she heard his horrific tale. "That is what the nightmare was about. Just one of those bad days, you know". He stayed silent.

Pisces began to understand some of the stuff that was beneath Scorpio's hard surface. What made him the way he is. Pisces knew this was not the whole story. As if reading her mind, he said, "A lot of bad shit happened to me over the years, Pisces. A lot of fucked up stuff. For a really long time, I had never felt what happiness was, until I went to college. I never showed it, but I was really happy with you guys. Everyone, even Sagittarius' crazy ass". They both chuckled a little. "I'm really sorry. About what happened. And I'm really sorry I didn't call you. I realize now why it was so hurtful for you", Pisces said, as she squeezed his hand.

Scorpio smiled a little at her and said,"It's okay. You know I have never told this stuff to anyone. Aquarius knows some of the stuff, as she has experienced my nightmare situation, but this stuff about me being happy in college and stuff. I haven't told that to anyone. Hell even I didn't know until..." his voice trailed off.

"Until what?", Pisces whispered.

Scorpio looked at her and said ,"Until you came back". Pisces was taken aback. Just a while ago, he had told her that their relationship didn't matter, and know, he was admitting she meant something to him.

Scorpio chuckled and said, "I don't know if anyone ever told you this but you look cute when you zone out and go deep in your thoughts". Pisces smiled nervously and looked down.

"Thank you", he said, "For being there". Pisces nodded and said, "Always".

He patted her hand and said, "You should sleep. We have to go out trekking tomorrow with stupid Aries and Cancer. Curse Cancer for talking me into it".

Pisces smiled and said, "Don't worry it will be just us four. The others aren't coming".

Scorpio looked surprised, " They aren't? Why not?". Pisces shrugged and said, "Well Libra is going into town for some work with Virgo, while Leo and Sagi are going scuba diving in the lake. They are gonna try and find secret tunnels and treasures".

Scorpio shook his head and said, "Those idiots".

Pisces smiled. She kissed him on the cheek and said, "Good night. If you have anymore nightmares, call me".

Scorpio nodded and smiled,"Good night, Pie". Pisces nodded and left.

As she went back to her room, a million thoughts crowded her mind. A voice in her head said that she should have told Scorpio about Jameson, but Pisces knew that, that would only make him more upset. She wanted to tell him that she loved him, but she knew at that moment, he needed a friend to be there for him, more than confused feelings and a goddamn love triangle.

Before she could enter the room, Scorpio approached her and whispered, "Pisces".

She turned around and said, "Yeah?".

Scorpio hugged her and said, "I forgive you. For everything. Not calling that day, leaving for San Fran. Everything. I know I have been a real jerk. Will you forgive me?".

Pisces looked at him and said, "Of course silly. You don't need to apologize to me. But thank you".

They broke apart. Scorpio smiled at her, said good night, and went back to his room. Pisces went back to her room.

As she lay in her bed, she smiled giddily and closed her eyes. A few moments later, she was fast asleep.