-Chapter Twenty Five-

Date: September 6th, 2015

Time: 1300

Location: Italy, Venice

Bryan walked on his crutches into the clinic with his grandmother coming beside him. She took his arm and he managed a small smile, "Nonna, I'm fine", said Bryan.

His grandmother scowled at him, "You might be a man now but you are not fine", she said in response.

Stubborn but caring. Perhaps today he would be out of the crutches. That was something to look forward to. But that was if his physical therapist and Doctor agreed to release him. Bryan could choose not to use them but they warned him it was their medical opinion that he continue to use them till further notified.

"Nonna, please, I'd like to learn to walk on my own again", said Bryan.

It sounded childish but his grandmother sighed, "I am going to go get your groceries-",

"Nonna, I can handle-" Byran was interrupted with a wagging finger.

"No, you are not talking your way out of this one, now go in there and get better", said his grandmother opening the door to the clinic.

Bryan sighed looking at the clock, "I'll be done by two", he said managing a fake smile.

"Go, go, you'll be late", ushered his grandmother shooing him to go.

Not wanting to argue anymore Bryan did go inside and he heard the door close behind him. There were a few elderly in here. It was always rather empty when Bryan came in for his two weekly appointments. Today it was no different. He checked in and sat down.

He leaned his head back as usual looking up at the ceiling while he waited to be called. Everyone kept to themselves. Not like in the hospital at Landstuhl....where everyone was rushing around and supporting one another. Soldiers and other patients had come in to visit Bryan and to see him off. Several whistled and patted his shoulder then as he was carried out. Doctors and nurses wished him good luck and a safe trip home.

But.....

Dr. King hadn't been there that time.

Who was Bryan kidding, she was an independent woman! She has a life outside of the hospital, worked there, lived there in Germany. But....Bryan still hadn't thanked her. He hadn't thanked her the way he wanted to. He sighed shaking his head muttering to himself.

"Get a grip, get a hold of yourself, there's no way she'd like you. You don't even have a shot!", whispered Bryan to himself.

"Mr. Bernardi", said the nurse at counter.

Bryan raised his head, "Dr. Thomas will see you now", said the nurse coming out and opening the door.

Bryan nodded getting up and went over heading into the adjacent complex following the nurse who stayed close since he was on crutches. To the usual room where Bryan had always started his meetings with his physical therapist.

"Thanks", said Bryan to the nurse.

She smiled, "Dr. Thomas will be with you shortly", she replied.

"Can I get you anything while you wait?", she asked politely.

Bryan shook his head, "No, no thanks", he replied.

"Alright", replied the nurse and shut the door quietly leaving.

Bryan sighed again he was waiting. Always waiting. He didn't like it, but these were busy people with other people to look after and care for other than him. But Bryan wanted this to be over with. He still....he still felt....he missed Memphis.....he missed Bear....Bravo and.....Hermit.....

Bryan sniffed blinking back tears. He missed Dr. King. "Damn you wimp", he muttered to himself wiping away the tears.

"You've got to keep going, she said to keep going", he muttered holding his hands leaning forward.

It was difficult though, he kept seeing everything over and over again. He had snapped at his grandmother several times already for little reasons that didn't matter. But now it was ticking him off. Bryan felt his throat dry suddenly as he thought of the desert and could taste the sand again in his mouth again. His legs began to grow weak and shake. He breathed quickly his pulse rising.

Bryan fumbled for his phone jerking it out of his pocket. His fingers shook as he unlocked it and went to his photos opening one.

He stared at it swallowing. His body began to naturally relax as he stared at the x-Ray. The one where Dr. King held his hand. He had it framed on his wall at home. As strange as it sounded it brought him comfort to look at it. The bad things just seemed to disappear. Because there was this one little good thing. Where someone had held him.

Bryan still wished though....that rather than her holding him......

He wished he could hold her and say thank you.......the right way.