Prepare

Catrina's POV:

I pulled on my black converses and double lace them. I walk into the kitchen, looking for my mom. I see her peeling Apple's for the Apple pie tonight. I kiss her goodbye and head out. 

I take a short run to Marinas house, just a couple blocks away. I reach her house, a small trickle of sweat along my brow. I reach up and wipe it away, realizing the door to her huge house is open. Huh?

I open the door and walk in, not b bothering to close it behind me, because it's open for a reason right?

I walk upstairs to Marinas room, the rooms I pass are empty. I see a cleaning lady dusting family portraits. 

"Excuse me?"I ask the lady. She turns around, her brown hair in a bun and her grey eyes smiling.

"Where's the family?" I question. 

"Mr and Mrs. Diez are out to a midday ball. Marina is in her room." I smile and thank her. 

No wonder why every room is so barren. I walk to her room, a feeling finding itself in my stomach. Dread. 

I see the light of her room as I round the corner. I open her door to surprise. But instead I'm The one surprised.

Her once clean room is in shambles. Clothes,books and hair accessories litter the ground. Her laptop is open on top of her crumpled sheet bed. The door shuts behind me. I spin around, ready to defend myself. 

A hand wraps around my waist and another around my mouth. I throw My head back without hesitation. My attacker curses. 

He pulls out a knife, and stupidly I take a sharp intake. Chloroform fills my nose. Sh*t

I feel as My body falls involuntarily, my vision wavering. Then there's sweet nothingness.

-------Dylan's POV-------

I pick up the girl. Her black hair falls like silk down my arm. She sure hit me hard. 

"Hope my nose isn't broken." I mutter to no one in particular. 

I walk over to the already broken window. I jump out with no hesitation. I hit the ground with a grunt but start running. I run to the woods near the house, I start imagining my world. The air gets colder as I transition into my world. 

The trees become less blurry and I slow my speed. I walk to a mansion that lays near the edge of the forest, near the busy road. Were in Desmia, one of the many states that make up our world. 

I go to the back, nodding at the guards stationed outside of the doors. I walk into the room, fear scent is thick in the air. I look around the room, my eyes skimming the rest of the 41 girls. Some are awake and some are still unconscious. 

I spy the brown hair girl from earlier. I handcuff the girl I'm holding to the wall then leave her next to her friend. 

I take one last look at her friend before exiting the room, the Choosing will be starting soon.

---------Catrinas POV--------

My eyes flutter as I regain my consciousness. I reach up to pull the hair from my face, only to realize my hands are handcuffed behind me. I snap my head up, hearing now the sounds of crying,upset females. 

Girls litter the floor, some are awake and either crying or groggy, while some are sleeping in bliss. 

My gaze lands on a certain girl next to me, her brown hair knotted. 

"Mari?!" I whisper hiss. 

She stirs, groaning. Her eyes snap open and she sees me leaning over Her.