Chapter 1

So here I am again, a new story, an idea that kept me from writing the others, so I decided to write it as well. I hope you like it, let me know if you'd want me to continue, for now, it's just something I wanted to get out of the way. but if you want me to continue, I'll continue. 

With my head bowed over a book, a fork in one hand once in a while picking up a piece of foot of my plate when I remembered that I was actually eating instead of being engrossed in my book, trying to soak up every bit of information.

Here I was sat a 20-year-old, not having had the opportunity to chase my dream of going to university and studying my passion of history. But maybe I should be grateful for that, after all I was sitting and travelling with one of the best historians the UK had to offer: Neil Oliver.

So maybe I should be happy I didn't get that opportunity, who could say they were an apprentice with one of the best historians. Nearly 8 months ago now, I had send him a mail, really a fan mail to say how much he'd influenced me in my passion for history, well he and another person, but she was a guide, she was the source of my passion. Like a spring of river having started its first drops of water, which had now turned into quite a river I might say, maybe a small sea.

I hadn't expected to get a reply, and certainly not the offer that had been in the closed envelope. When I had awoken that morning and checked the place where my mail was always placed, I was surprised to see a letter having been stamped in Scotland, I had expected a reply in a mail, but after all he was a Historian and I quite liked the way he worked.

'I can see the passion in History streaming of the screen.' Had been one of his sentences.

'few times, maybe the first time even have I met someone so young and passionate about history.' Had been added in the letter.

' It would be a huge waste of your talent, already knowledge and passion to go lost. If you already have this much knowledge without University and at 19, I can't imagine what you'll know in five years.' He had started another paragraph.

'I'd love to be a teacher to such a talent and therefor I will suggest something I have never done before, I'd like to take you as my student while I travel around the world to learn about history, I'll learn you all I know and hopefully we'll make a great team.' He'd finished.

Well I would have been more then stupid to not accept such an offer, gran, gramps and mom had yelled after me, I had been working since having to drop out of school. My mother having left us for her stupid boyfriend a year before, finally having seen her mistake she returned.

But the damage had been done, I had dropped out of university, so I could support my left behind sibling by my mother, not wanting my grandparents to be the victims of her mistake. In between gramps had lost his job as well, so I had been the only source of income for awhile, until mom had seen her mistake and returned, without a job I might add.

But I wouldn't let this opportunity fall for anything. This was a once in a life time opportunity, my mom could go and search for a job, instead of taking advantage of me.

I walked to the garden of our small farm and called the number at the bottom of the page. A Scottish voice had replied, a voice I had heard all to well from looking at documentaries, we'd come to an agreement that I would get paid while I could stay at his families' house as I followed him as his student.

And here we were, BBC had hired him once again to make a documentary, quite a big project and would exist out of several series, that was a certainty. I had been ecstatic when Neil had put his foot down and demanded I would be paid as well as I helped researching the project.