Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

                I looked down at the number scrawled on the paper in my hand as I made my way up the stairs of the boy dorm.  I felt so uncomfortable being there, since I never dared set foot in the boys’ dorm since for one, it was against the rules, and two, because I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front a group of boys.  But since Dr. Greenwich signed a note that gave me permission to venture into such dangerous waters, I didn’t have to worry about breaking the rules, nor did I have to worry about boys since everyone should be in their classes. 

                I reached the second floor where Jonathan’s room was supposed to be and felt my stomach sink to my feet.  I was getting nervous…extremely so.  I couldn’t help but think he wouldn’t like me around him.  Or that he just doesn’t want to be bothered period.  I was on the verge of stopping and turning back when I remembered Loren’s speech that night when I saw her off to her class.  She told me that I had to become his friend because I was the only person that could.  And she also mentioned something about her being a good influence on me, since according to her this was the first time I was actually reaching out to someone rather than someone having to reach out to me.  Finally I made it and was standing in front the door that was supposed to be Jonathan’s.  Taking a deep breathe a raised my hand and knocked assertively.

                The door opened to reveal the face and shirtless chest of the guy that was making out with Kathryn the night before.  My heart immediately sank to reach my stomach to fight for a position at my feet.  I could feel my face turn red, and I looked away.  Wasn’t he supposed to be at class? I thought.  Then I remembered that some students had free time every once in a while. Darn it!

                “Hello,” the guy said with an amused smile.  Apparently seeing me suffer was entertaining. 

                “Umm…is Jonathan in there I would like to speak with him,” I muttered, in a barely audible voice. 

                “What did you say?” he asked again looking even more amused. 

                “Is Jonathan there?” I repeated louder, wile refusing to look at him.

                “Nope, but if you want sweetie you could come in here and we could talk,” he said with a tempting, sweet, soft voice.  But all the red flags were going off in my brain.  Of course I knew exactly what this guy wanted.

                “Uhh…umm…no I’m fine.  I just want to know where Jonathan is could you tell me?” I asked shakily hoping he’ll be as willing to answer as he was to ‘talk’ with me.

                “Are you sure you don’t want to come in?”

                This guy surely didn’t take a hint that I wasn’t interested.  Boys are so dense.

                “Yes, I’m sure.”

                “Well that’s a shame.  And no I don’t know where he is.  He had to pack his stuff and leave this dorm room as soon as he returned for the infirmary yesterday.  I do know that his new room is the last room on the top floor,” He explained.

                I smiled and looked at his face in one quick glance and then made my way back to the stairs. 

                The top floor felt so eerie and empty.  I could see my breath form as little white puffs.  I walked down the hall to the very last room slowly and cautiously, half expecting some demon or the other to jump out and eat me.