Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

                 My silent waiting was interrupted by the annoying Nokia ring tone that escaped from Jonathan’s pants pocket.  Leaning on his right he pulled it out and brought it to his ears. 

               “Where are you, man?” my enhanced vampire hearing picked up.  The person was a man with a husky voice and he was clearly frustrated.

              “I’m almost there.  Just be ready, I’ll be there in a minute,” Jonathan answered with the same tone he used with me.  It was reassuring to know that he was like that with everyone. 

              The man on the other end of the line sighed and hung up and Jonathan tossed the phone in the back seat.  Without any warning, he stamped on the gas propelling us down the highway and caused the tires of the car to screech as we took a sharp corner on to a back road.  I guess he finally realised that we were in a race against the sun, which was already noticeably warming the air.

                I could see a small house in the distance almost like a shed and wondered if that was where we were heading.  I was staring at the shed when a sudden, searing pain stung the right side of my face. 

                “Jonathan!” I shouted in fear, “We’re not going to make it!” 

                I could feel my skin slowly bubble like how plastic melts away in heat.  I lifted my hand to shade my face, and looked at Jonathan.  He didn’t seem fazed by the obvious pain he was feeling and the sun that was hitting his body.  The right side of his face was almost gone. His bones and teeth were visible. The smell of burning human flesh filled the air and stung my nose.  At this rate we had seconds to live and I wondered why he wasn’t bothered.  I noticed that my left arm no longer had any skin, revealing my dark vampire tissue. 

                Coolness fluttered through my senses as the car was surrounded by complete darkness, our bodies no longer exposed to the sun.  I was relieved. I wasn’t ready to die.  Not yet anyway.  And the feeling of fearing for my life was becoming tiring.  My arm tingled as my skin healed back.  My face was once again as it was in all its plain unattractive glory.   Jonathan opened the car door and stepped out before I could even get a chance to look at how his face was healing. 

                “Dude, what the hell is she doing here?  And who the hell is she anyway?” That same husky voice asked.  Jonathan lit a lamp and placed it on the small table that was arbitrarily in the left corner of the small room. 

                “She’s involved,” Jonathan answered plainly, as he walked over to the trunk of his car.

                The man snorted.  He was tall, about six feet and lanky.  His brown hair was messy, like if he just woke up, and he was wearing only a pair of navy blue jeans showing off his well-toned chest.  I couldn’t help but stare. 

                “Involved in what?  You have no idea what’s happening, you told me so yourself.  And now you’ve involved me in whatever craziness is going on,” he complained.  He stuffed his hands in his pocket and pulled out a cigarette and a fancy lighter.  It was stainless steel or something like it, with an elaborate design of skulls and roses all over it.  He lit the cigarette and took a long tug on it, blowing a puff of grey smoke in the air.   That explained his voice.

                “Like if having your parents want to kill you isn’t enough, you also have vampires on your tail too.  Though you didn’t tell me why,” the guy continued.