Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I slowly backed away from the mysterious man.  I couldn’t believe that I had mistaken him for Jonathan.  He was way too tall.  He turned and walked slowly up to me, his steps in sync with mine to the point it seemed like I wasn’t moving away from him at all.  I began to shake with panic.  This couldn’t be happening again – today.

“Why are you scared love?  I don’t bite,” he said in that same sickly sweet, low voice.   I stared at the pure white fangs in his mouth.  Yeah…right.  I was so caught up in walking away that I didn’t notice I’d reached the edge of the roof and I slipped and fell off.  A sudden pain rippled through my body as I landed on my elbow.  I felt it shatter under my weight.  I cried out in pain, and writhed on the courtyard’s stone ground. 

The man followed and gracefully jumped off the roof.  Now I was absolutely defenceless.  My elbow began to heal, but not nearly as fast as I would have wanted it to.  After about ten seconds when the pain had become bearable, I got to my feet and began to run for the courtyard’s exit.  If I got into the school, I thought it would be safer because I figured that I would be safer inside where people are.

The stranger was still on my heels and as much as I scrambled he didn’t seem to think it necessary to rush after me as he was still walking slowly.  Like he knew I was going to mess up and that he was going to catch me anyway.  Ignoring the slight stinging pain in my almost healed left arm, I pulled open the huge hall doors.  But before I could even begin to run for it down the hall, he already had one of his strong arms wrapped around my body and another over my mouth so I couldn’t scream.  I tried to wiggle out of his grasp but he was just too strong.  He was a fully changed vampire and I was still going through the process; I didn’t have a chance. 

Maybe death wouldn’t be as bad as I always made it out to be, I thought.  Death is peaceful isn’t it? And it was the only way I could be freed from the curse of vampirism.  Besides, it’s not like many people are going to mourn my death.  It would just be my parents, my aunt, Loren, Lucas, Olivia, possibly my brothers and that would be it.  No one else would be sincerely sad that I died.  Hmmm, maybe the world doesn’t need me after all.  I closed my eyes in acceptance of my fate, and I wondered how he was going to do it.  Was he going to rip my head off, or maybe stake me like they were planning to do with Jonathan?  Whatever it was, I hoped it would be quick and practically painless.

“Hey!” I heard someone shout and I opened my eyes to see Jonathan, in a dark coloured hoodie, standing at the other end of the hall.  I was so wrapped in my thoughts that I didn’t notice him enter.

“Jonathan Hunt? I’ve found you at last,” the vampire hissed and he threw me roughly to a side.  My back hit the wall with immense force, so much so that the walls cracked and my spine snapped.  I couldn’t feel or move my arms and legs, which frightened me. But I consoled myself by repeating in my head that I would be healed.  Through parted eyes and blurry vision I saw the man rush up to Jonathan, who didn’t move.  I wanted to scream and tell him to run but the words wouldn’t form.   As the man was about only ten feet away, Jonathan pulled out what looked like a gun, and shot the vampire square in the head.  The man crumbled to the floor with a soft thud. 

It was good to know that Jonathan was ok, that he defended himself this time.  Feeling secure I closed my eyes from exhaustion, and passed out.

“Charlotte.  Charlotte!”  Jonathan shouted as he shook me awake.  I arose, moving my fingers and shifting my toes to the best of their capacity while in my shoes, testing if everything was back in order. 

“Goodness, why are you always the one getting caught up in this,” he said as he got off his knees and back to his feet.  I was wondering the same thing.