Ch. 2: The Lockdown

Chloe's POV:

I spread out my electric blue sleeping bag on the ground next to Paige's. We had stationed ourselves as far away from the door as possible in case Abby would decide to make any of us into a late night snack. I threw my wavy blonde hair up into a messy bun and sighed. I was scared. My lifelong friend Brooke had been taken away, but not just that. She had been killed for the twisted amusement of Abby Lee Miller. I wondered what she had done with her as a plump, silent tear slowly rolled down my cheek. 

I was startled out of my silence when the door burst open, and a vicious Abby stood in the doorway with her matted hair and evil eyes staring at each one of us.

"Let's practice for competition, shall we?" Abby roared. 

"Jojo, Nia, Paige, DO YOUR SOLOS, ONE BY ONE. In that order. The best will pick what happens to Brooke, the worst will join Brooke!" She screams, thoroughly enjoying herself.

Jojo timidly walks to the middle of the studio, as we all push our sleeping bags back, giving her room to dance. All of her usual spunk and attitude was replaced with trembling fear.

Abby walks over to her computer, and plays Jojo's solo music, so loud that we all cover our ears. Abby guffaws.

Jojo looks nervous, stumbling through her routine. It was hip hop. She's usually better than all of us at hip hop, but today the nerves were getting the best of her. But, I mean, can you blame her? She will either be the lucky one who doesn't have to make any decisions, the one responsible for her friend's death, or the one to die! As the song progresses, she gets better, and finally she's in the zone, rocking her solo, but her facial expressions are still missing! I know this is one of Abby's biggest pet peeves, so I discreetly crawl across the other girls' sleeping bags so that I'm in Jojo's line of vision.

I wave my hand at her, hoping I don't mess her up, and I make a sassy pouty face at her. Luckily, she gets the message and turns up the attitude, complete with all of her signature facial expressions to match her crazy hairpiece.

 Luckily, she gets the message and turns up the attitude, complete with all of her signature facial expressions to match her crazy hairpiece

Thankfully, Abby didn't notice any of my interfering, and I grin. 

"Good job, Chlo!" Brynn says, tapping my shoulder.

"This is how we survive. We have to help each other." I whisper back with a smile. Her lips curl up into a returned smile, and we sit back and watch Jojo rock it. 

When her music stops and she finishes, hand on hip in a sassy pose, we all cheer, even Abby who waves Jojo over.

"Here you go!" Abby hands Jojo a handful of index cards. "Keep one for yourself, and give the rest of the girls one too." She orders.

Jojo's POV:

"Let me explain about these notecards girls." Abby says as I'm handing them out. After I'm done, I sit down next to Kendall who is nervously peeling the blue nail polish off of her fingers.

"Each on of you will bring your card to me after each competition for me to stamp. I have three stamps. The first one says Great, the second one says Go, and the third one says Grave," Abby's voice lowers, becoming ominous. She continues in a gravelly voice.

"If you recieve a Great stamp, you are the top dancer and are in no danger, but you have to choose which of the worst dancers will meet death. If you get a Go card, it means you were fine- for now. You have no responsibilities this week. In other words, you passed. If you get a Grave card, you were the worst dancer, and the best dancer will choose if you die, and how you will die," She explains. We are all getting increasingly nervous. Brynn starts shaking. 

Abby loudly claps, startling us all. 

"And with that, Nia! You're up next!" She shouts with a smirk.

"Good luck." I tell her, but she ignores me.

"I'll do better than you, Jojo," She sneers. "When I'm the top dancer, I'll kill you." She says, sending chills down my spine.

This "competition" had turned her evil. Turned her into a person who would do anything.

Anything to survive.