Ch. 11- Death and Doors

Maddie's POV

I am more determined ever to help Paige. I try not to look at Jojo's mangled self. It makes me want to throw up. 

"Paige, we're coming!" I shout up at her.

"What do we do?" I whisper urgently to Chloe.

"Well, this was my plan after all. I actually do have an idea this time." She reassures as I smile. This was the determined Chloe I know and love. 

She begins to climb up some of the other poles, showing her agility and flexibility. I smile, thinking back on the many competitions we've shared over the years. Yes, she was a tough competitor. 

All was going well until there was a separation between the beam she was on and the beam Paige was on. She was now dangerously high up. A fall would mean falling onto the spike floor with crushing force. I saw the wheels turning in her head. 

"Paige, scoot over to the edge of your beam, but don't fall. Please. I can't live with myself if my plan were the cause of your death." She pleaded.

Paige was silent, but did what Chloe said as we both held our breath. 

"Okay, Paige, you're just going to have to trust me on this," Chloe begins. 

"I'm gonna hold on to my beam with my feet and your beam with my hands. You crawl over me and get yourself to the ground. Don't worry about me." Chloe said.

"No! Don't be stupid!" I yell. 

"No Maddie, Come on Paige. Just do it." Paige shook her head, still not speaking.

"DO IT PAIGE OR I'LL JUMP OFF TO THIS SPIKE FLOOR!" She shouts and finally Paige does Chloe's dangerous plan. 

She gets right onto Chloe's back and then the unthinkable happens.

"Chloe!" We both yell ending Paige's silence as Chloe falls. 

Down... down... slowly...