TWO: Escape Plan

I woke up inside a holding cell that's full of lights. My body still hurts a lot from the beating from that stupid-ass cop. There are bruises everywhere. I look like a Dalmatian waiting for his owner to finally set him free from his cage so that I can piss somewhere that would annoy the neighbors, except all I want to do that time was eat because it felt like I haven't eaten in ages.

After observing my not-so-small cell that's fully utilized, I got the power to stand up and try to look at what's outside. I tried covering my eyes so that the fully glowing lights won't bother my sight. Several seconds passed and I finally found a sweet spot where I can view the hallway next to my cell. I can see three cells across the one I'm in, and I found out that my cell is the only one that contains a single inmate probably because as I am, as they like to call me, abnormal.

The first cell located on my left was filled with two big dudes full of tattoos on their arms looking at me that they want to strangle me anytime they have the chance. The second cell located on my right was filled with prisoners that are shouting and trying to get the guard's attention. It appears to me that they are several mental cases placed in the wrong detention center. The third cell located in between those two cells and directly across my cell was filled with two normal looking thugs who don't seem to give a fuck about what would happen. They're just there having the time of their lives by pacing around their small cell.

I think that my hotel room slash cell is about as neat as I expected it to be. I can probably live the rest of my life there and not give a fuck about the outside world. Surely, I won't miss living in the streets where safety is not around. Here in the penitentiary, everybody will surely fear me for I reckon that they already heard my case and they won't want fucking with someone who can definitely piss on them.

The only thing I hate about this room is the extreme supply of lights which looks like they will pay five times the electricity bill they had before I was sent here.

On my first day on the cell, my favorite hobby was napping and staying inside the whole day. The guards didn't force me to come out the yard because they can't risk having shadows around me thinking that I would escape. I was having a fun time sleeping that day when I stumbled awake because there was a commotion happening on the cell directly across mine.

"I didn't do it! It was Chow who did it! I would never dare escape.. Trust me! Aw!" he exclaimed as the guards pushed him against the wall and started inspecting the cell.

"Shut up! The key was collected from your pocket. Don't lie!"

"Someone placed the key in my pocket. I didn't know!" said the thug trying to defend himself.

While one of the guards are busy inspecting the cell and the other one was pushing the thug on the wall while focused on looking at his colleague do his job, the thug is slowly trying to reach on the guard's pocket. A few seconds later, I saw pull out a shiny thing from the pocket of the guard and he stopped thrashing around. When the guard didn't find any contraband inside the cell, they left the cell and told the thug to behave.

When I heard the gate of the cell block shut, I tried to make a conversation with the thug to salute him for the great pull. After all, having a friend inside the penitentiary is not a bad thing.

"Nice pull, dude. The guard didn't even notice," I told him.

"You saw it which means it's not that good," said the thug while smiling as he rummage through his pocket trying to look for his loot.

"I won't rat you out. Don't worry. I'm Frank Luna.."

"I know. Everyone in this goddamn place knows you. Some even call you names; prison ghoul, shadow demon, dark inmate..." then I interrupted.