TKAM "Bookmark" Chapters 17-21

1. Summarize Mr. Tate's testimony. 

Doesn't always make the most sense, came 30 minutes after the actual crime happened, statements about Mayella's bruises is confusing, switches from left to right, making suspicions arise, from what Ewells told him no one called a doctor.

2. Describe Mr. Ewell.

Little bantam cock of a man, strutted to the stand, red faced, nose was thin, pointed and shiny, no chin, lived behind town's garbage dump, left-handed, wife dead, 7 children, redneck

3. Describe Mayella Ewell.

Seemed fragile looking, thick-bodied girl accustomed to labor, looked that she tried to keep clean, 19 and a half years old, oldest of seven children, able to read and write, went to school 2 to 3 years, took care of siblings.

4. According to Tom, what happened?

Last spring Mayella started to invite Tom to their home area and he does some tasks Mayella needs him to do. He only went on their property when asked, on November 21st she grabbed him around the legs and jumped on him violently, then kissed him. Tom tried to run away, but Mr. Ewell saw them through the window.

5. Why is Dill so upset?

He couldn't believe how Mr. Gilmer talked or treated Tom, called him boy

6. What does Mr. Dolphous Raymond drink? Why do the townspeople believe he is always drunk?

Coca Cola, he lets them believe it and goes along with it, that's how he acts

7. What are the main points of Atticus's closing arguments?

The court should be treating blacks and whites equally since its what the law says, they need to think about the decision they are making, no medical evidence, just contradicts.

8. Why does Jem believe they've won?

Atticus's closing thoughts in the chapter tried to urge them to do what was right, and the testimonies of Heck Tate, Bob Ewell and Mayella Ewell didn't all quite match up together, treated equal in court

9. Explain how "the atmosphere in the courtroom was exactly the same as a cold February morning."

Everyone is awaiting what will happen to Tom and Mayella and they want to see and hear every last detail, Atticus ending things he said showed they had no evidence.