Discussion Questions Chapters 28-29

1. In what ways does Jem behave like a true gentleman in chapter 28?

He led Scout to her play

2. How would you evaluate the entertainment value of Mrs. Merriweather's pageant? Be specific. 

Nobody really cared, kids looked dumb in food costumes

3. Who is the "countryman" who brought Jem home?

Boo

4. How does Aunt Alexandra's behavior in chapter 28 differ from how she has behaved earlier?

Lets Scout wear overalls and doesn't go to play

5. Did you know before Heck's comment that the attack was made by Bob Ewell? If so, how? If not, what did you think and why?

Since Jem broke his arm he really wouldn't be able to kill someone.

6. What is ironic about Heck Tate's comment, "He's good and dead?"

It was good that Bob was dead

7. Atticus says Bob Ewell was crazy, while Heck Tate disagree and says he was evil. What support can you find for either opinion in the story? What do you think?

Since he was a bantam cock man and that  he would have incestual things with his children fits both descriptions.

8. When you did realize that the man who carried Jem home was Boo? If you knew before Scout greeted him, what clues led to your conclusion?

From previous details in the story and how Boo was redeeming to others.

9. Why did Scout have tears in her eyes when she said hello to Boo?

She was thankful/surprised

10. In retrospect what are the functions of the mad dog scene besides revealing Atticus's ability with a gun?

That not all the people you think are crazy are crazy