TKAM Discussion Questions Chapters 30-31

1. What explanations might account for Dr. Reynolds not having noticed Boo the first time he was in the room?

Too focused on Jem, blended into the walls

2. Do you think Atticus had second thoughts about having chosen to defend Tom Robinson as he did, sitting on the porch, knowing that Tom was dead, and believing that Jem had just killed Bob Ewell?

No, he had previously said that he wouldn't be able to walk around other people

3. What was the "contest" between Heck Tate and Atticus?

Whether Bob fell on his knife or not

4. Where do you think Heck got the switchblade?

Since he was the sheriff, he would have one on him

5. What do you think would have happened if Heck Tate had told the town "all about it?"

6. Do you think that Heck Tate was justified in what he did?

7. Reread the first paragraph description on the opening page of chapter 31. Recall the description of Mayella after she was beaten, presumably by Bob Ewell. Now imagine Boo going to try to save Jem and Scout from Bob Ewell. What thoughts come to mind?

8. What did Scout understand from standing on the Radley's porch.

9. Why do you think the book ends where it does?

10. Jem's injury creates a parallel between him and Tom Robinson. What do you think it means?

11. Compare and contrast Arthur with the children's fantasies about him.

12. In what ways does Atticus misjudge Bob Ewell?

13. Do you think Jem will become a lawyer? (Why? Why not?)

14. Dill leaves in chapter 25 and doesn't participate in the closing events. What do you think of his absence?

15. Why do you think Boo didn't come out again after saving the children?