A visit from Gotham.

I walked to the station, dreading what laid ahead. Joe said he needed me in right away, apparently it was urgent. I walked into the elevator and waited to arrive on my level, as I waited I heard the usual gossip from the office and actually it was about me; which didn't make things any less awkward. Apparently I have been doing things outside of the law, maybe Jim was right and that I did need to do something about it. Maybe I do need to contact Oswald and see if he can sort something out. No, what am I thinking, then the rumors will be true...

"Look, I mean she doesn't look the type does she." One of the girls whispered. 

"Yea, I mean look at her. She looks off, like she is doing something against the law." The other whispered in reply. I shifted my position.

"You know, I can here you." I whispered to them. Suddenly they stopped and it became rather awkward.

"S-sorry." They both stuttered.

"Oh, its nothing. I heard that you-" I pointed to one of them. "Are actually taking evidence and you-" I pointed to the other. "Are selling journalists information about cases." I smiled. As a detective it has its benefits, like knowing everything about everyone. "The rumors are false, I'm not doing anything illegal thank you very much. Well, apart from watching the odd film on the internet." And with that I left. 

I walked in  to only see a man shouting at the receptionist. Usually I wouldn't care, but due to my headache I decided to step in.

"Excuse me." I said calmly, he didn't stop. "EXCUSE ME SIR." I shouted and the entire station went silent. He didn't turn to face me. "What seems to be so damn important, that you must cause such a ruckus?" He huffed, the man was wearing a black jacket and what looked like a suit underneath and I must say he had great shoes. He finally turned, he kept his head down and I soon realised who this menace was, Jim. "Right, I should have known; only you could make my head ache for no reason. You only have to come within meters of me when I haven't seen you for a while." 

"Ha, this lady said you weren't in today." He said.

"I'm not supposed to be. Joe called me in, apparently someone here was asking for me; but didn't have any evidence to prove that they knew me." I closed my eyes for a few seconds. "I'm supposed to be off, having a relaxing day. To let me recover from working non stop." I sighed.

"Hi-"

"-Shut up." I replied and held up my hand.

"What?" He asked.

"Ssshhh." I put my finger to his lips. "I have a headache. So whisper." I added. By now everyone had gone back to their business.

"We need to talk." Jim whispered.

"Joe, can I go?" I asked.

"Yes." Joe replied quickly.

"See you later Eddie." I called out.

"Wait a second. I have your glasses." He jogged over to me; he dug around in his pocket and pulled them out. "Here." He handed them to me.

"Thanks Eddie, I thought I left them somewhere." I smiled as best as I could and he returned them.

"Yea, you left them at the bar last night, after you took them off you never put them back on." He smiled and then looked at Jim, he then turned to leave as if he felt a little awkward. 

"Bye Eddie." I called after him as he was walked away.

"Who's that?" Jim asked.

"What do mean 'who is that'? He's my partner." I walked back to the elevator and Jim followed. "Why are you here James?" I asked.